BOSCH GTS 10 XC Dust extraction from crown guard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountZero

Reaction score
Hi UK workshop, first post, be kind ( unless I am being stupid).

Just received a GTS 10 XC for use in a small garage and the version I have ( which differs from the resellers pictures and description ) has no crown guard dust extraction. Is it possible to add a widget to allow for this ( I note the dewalt similar crown guard has it built in ) or can I buy a previous version and retro fit? The bits I am talking about are: 1) What I currently have 801 and 2) what I thought i was getting grouping 811, see attached image. Don't fancy spending £75 on a new riving knife assembly, which means drilling into the new one.

I am really surprised that this has been removed. What to do, if I can't fit efficient dust removal, should I return the machine? not started it up yet.... or do I fix/bodge it? I have a thing about dust and although a hobby newbie have an air filter and good dust collection, just building 63mm dust extraction network.

If I do return it I am left with what else to get? I have an mft and TS55, which is pretty good for most things, but not thin rips. I was thinking about the Ax216 or dewalt745 refresh, both are smaller blades. Axi sounds quiet and has good dust extraction, but internet comments say there is some quality control issues with table flatness, mitre slots and fence? I did see one u-tube vid where the fence seems to catch on the transition between cast iron table and extension. Apparently the dewalt is very loud, but the fence is good. I am looking for repeatable accuracy, but has to be relatively small and light as I want to move it around on wheels if necessary.

Am I being unimaginative in my track saw usage? Should I be making small jigs for thin rips, I have tried a parallel guide and find it so-so.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks and stay well.

Attachments

• bosch crown guard issue.jpg
    bosch crown guard issue.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 187
Hi, i have the same issue with my 10XC i just bought. did you find a solution to this ?
Yep me too, just got it thought the extraction on the saw must be good as no crown guard extractor point. Nope this guard is very poorly designed, while setting up chippings hit me in the face, luckily for me I always try an remember to put safety goggles on. Do not feel safe with this guard. The purpose of a crown Guard is multi-fold and as this is advertised as a professional saw for use on site, I don't think this meets regulations for a a guard under safety regs, even a Bosch promotional video shows it being used without! It has no extraction on it, bits can fly upwards and forwards in line with the blade and sideways. Maybe I'm fussy but my fingers and eyes won't repair themselves, as I trained as a machinist years ago this guard isn't fit for purpose. I bought Bosch on reviews of the old crown guard model and the fact in respect for the brand in my trade days, wish I'd received the old model, the one problem of guard fastener hitting the fence was easily safely modifiable. Rant over! Oh and should you find a suitable crown guard or modification pleas let me know as I can't very well return it! May consider sending details to my contact at the local HSE dept.

i have the old crown model & the IMO the extraction out the top of the guard is utterly useless.... even if i have a separate extractor hooked up under & then one over all the dust flys straight backwards past the extraction port.... i think thats why it was binned off... its also a pain to adjust & catches on the fence lot.

it needed a redesign, its the worst part of a very good saw.

Sorry to tell you but the new crown guard is not a lot a use but might make a nice ornament. After lockdown I'm gonna source some plastics and make my own using the existing as a starting point and the locking mechanism, fingers crossed. Below is part of a reply I have had from Bosch and bearing in mind giantbeats comment the latest guard is no better. Researching after I found the problems, it does appear that crown guard on most makes of "portable" saw tables have gone this way recently. I've just sold my Triton 2000 gear, I used to sell and demonstrate it, a few years ago its one draw back no tilt. However, this had a cloth funnel that fitted around under the table with an elasticated vent for the motor and then a cloth hopper that the dust fell into and an extractor port on the adjustable crown guard. Unlike my new Bosch saw no bits on the floor and good pull of the crown guard. I realised early on that with this machine the dust risk was actually when emptying the hopper due to hazards now known to be caused by some dusts. So the saw is good and solid and Crown Guards all appear to be headed this way. With a bit of thought and a bit of trial and error I believe I can modify the machine, have a much more efficient crown guard and extraction system in general. Time will tell :)

"The nature of professional portable table saws has changed recently with the introduction of new manufacturing norms (which every manufacturer needs to adhere to) which affected a number of features on these tools including Top Guard, Riving Knife, Table Dimensions, Switch and so on."

Hi, I was lucky to get a Bosch GTS 10 XC Professional and a Bosch GAS 35 M AFC extractor second hand for a very good price. However, I had a lot of work to do to extract compacted dust and wood chips from around the guide rods for the blade / motor lifting mechanism. When purchased, the blade would not fully retract. It’s all clean and working fine now, but I have read a LOT of comments about poor dust extraction and some ‘solutions’ on YouTube which, TBH, I really don’t like the look of. I can feel that the extractor when fitted to the machine port results in zero suction at the table insert plate. I do have the guard fitted, but cannot find anywhere the fittings required to apply extraction at the machine port AND the blade guard. Any solutions out there, which do not involve virtually remodelling the interior of the GTS? With vernier callipers I measured that the interior dimensions of the two ports are 35mm and 32mm respectively. External dimension of the port on the blade guard is 38mm.

Bosch really aren't very good at dust extraction. I have to use all sorts of bits of plastic and duct tape to secure a Bosch GAS dust extractor to a Bosch GEX 150 Turbo sander. Sad - the sander is very good as a sander.

Bosch really aren't very good at dust extraction. I have to use all sorts of bits of plastic and duct tape to secure a Bosch GAS dust extractor to a Bosch GEX 150 Turbo sander. Sad - the sander is very good as a sander.
Many makes of table saw for portable/workshop use don't meet the regs I learnt many years ago. Have the 10xc and just seen a Dewalt. The Dewalt has an extractor on the guard and I have adapted my 10xc but guard extractor was only good where I could support pipe above machine. Also many "portable" size machines guards are "unsafe" and I mean unsafe in many ways. No efficient extraction. As the saw blade is raised the back of the blades are exposed. The guards have slots in, I have seen bits fly out from those and the exposed blade. I always wear safety goggles so eyes protected but face got hit. Also the extractor systems are poorly deigned. If you poked holes in your extractor pipe the vacuum would be reduced at the point of extraction and the design of these machines is just like that. On the crown guards not covering the whole blade and holes in guard reduces vacuum, on my crown guard I have covered slots with clear hard plastic and will make a guard covering whole blade to replace my temporary plywood extension. Under the saw, the extractor well has a big gap to the right where the the blade is changes which I have used thin ply to improve suction and foam pipe insulation which can easily be removed at blade change. This helped efficiency of dust extraction. These improvements to extraction could easily be designed in with little addition to weight. Looong rant over.

Back