Bosch gmc 12 glide mitre saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMental

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Bosch glide mitre saw and when on a few minutes as the motor speeds up to full speed I get a loud sound from it its a perfect tone that hurts the ears any one know if its a bearing noise ? I removed the blade to which the sound was gone can the blade make such a sound if it was warped? Motor runs great belt is in good condition as new. Ive ardered a new blade the blade that was on it was a trend craft/pro The blade size is 305 x30 I think its 80 teeth any help would be apreciated
Thanks

Hi
From experience the supplied blade isn't the best until you have it re-sharpened where it becomes a different blade.
Different blades seem to make different noise, my go to blade is a Freud with 100 teeth which I find covers the majority of my cross cut needs
A local sharpener may be able to check for warping or you could try looking yourself using a piece of float glass ideally and see if there is any rocking
Hope this might help

It should not be taking a few "minutes" as you stated, to reach full speed. Just a two or three seconds (no load). Mine came with a Bosch branded 88 tooth blade which was fine and re-sharpens well. It currently has a Freud on it as my very fine cut Swedex (not cheap but very good) is off for sharpening.

I can't help wondering if you have something interfering with the blade (piece of wood jammed in?). Did you remove the cover guard when you changed the blade and does it lift dead free now?

If the blade is warped you will get very ragged cuts. Is it new or secondhand. ? If the latter and it is taking that long to wind up I would suspect the brushes are worn down and metal may be grinding on the armature. Its not too hard to check as long as you have a good set of screwdriver bits - there can be all sorts of torx/hexagon screws in power tools.

Last edited:
MadMental
Did you buy the machine new or second/hand ?
Has it always been slow to get to full speed ?

It should not be taking a few "minutes" as you stated, to reach full speed. Just a two or three seconds (no load). Mine came with a Bosch branded 88 tooth blade which was fine and re-sharpens well. It currently has a Freud on it as my very fine cut Swedex (not cheap but very good) is off for sharpening.

I can't help wondering if you have something interfering with the blade (piece of wood jammed in?). Did you remove the cover guard when you changed the blade and does it lift dead free now?
Yes mate the sound develops low and gets louder and louder till its very painfull to the ears like its gonna blow captain kind of thing

MadMental
Did you buy the machine new or second/hand ?
Has it always been slow to get to full speed ?
Bought the thing second hand looked new and was very clean when delivered I have bought a new freud blade as they are my favorite blades and will be here tomorow will let you know when it arives and is fitted
Thanks

Second hand might be the culprit - did you fire it up before you handed over the cash? could be faulty from manufacturer and the previous owner didn't get around to sorting that out, and just passed it on to an unsuspecting person (I got done that way with an axminster ts200 that has manufacturing issues that should have been sorted out at purchase.)

I've been offered one of these (free) to replace my Evolution mitre saw, but the current owner (my nephew) says that it is very inaccurate.
Reviews on the internet vary tremendously but there are several that comment on the constant need for readjustment and lack of repeatabilty.
Could any users of the saw on here please comment?
(my nephew is replacing it with a £1500 Festool)

I've been offered one of these (free) to replace my Evolution mitre saw, but the current owner (my nephew) says that it is very inaccurate.
Reviews on the internet vary tremendously but there are several that comment on the constant need for readjustment and lack of repeatabilty.
I have owned many mitre saws over the years and I have to say the Bosch Glide is by far the best apart from its dust collection which is poor, mine is permanent in a workshop and has a full enclosure around it.
I have had mine roughly 2 years it was fairly good out the box but by following the manual and spending a few hours I got it bang on and accurate.
I have no repeatability issues if doing a lot of angled cuts i try to use the bevel as it is very easy to check with a digital angle box.
Although the lasers are fine (bit of a fiddle to adjust) from watching a youtube post I fitted an LED shadow light (brought from amazon about £7 and a little work with a hot glue gun and should you end up with different kerfs on blades due to sharpening of blade purchase the shadow line doesn't need any adjustment
If mine broke I would straight away go out and replace it like for like the same day.

I am sure others may comment differently

I'm an "almost user" of the Bosch saw, but bought the DeWalt DWS780. The decision was based solely on what was available at the time. I have since replaced the DeWalt with the Festool Kapex because of the dust collection.

My Festool dealer also sold the Bosch and Makita product lines. According to their expert, if dust collection was not a concern, then the Bosch GCM12 was the SCMS of choice. If dust collection was a concern, then the Festool Kapex was the SCMS of choice.

says that it is very inaccurate.
Been using one of these for nigh on ten years and had no issues at all, did an intitial setup check when purchased but not touched it since.

In my opinion that is a total waste of money because once you get to a certain level of mitre saw then they all do the job and it is just peoples hands on that makes the buying decision. If buying a new mitre saw today I think it would be the Bosch GCM 12 GDL Mitre Saw | Bosch Professional as it solves my only issue with my current saw which is distance to the wall behind.

I agree with Mike. I have used the Bosh extensively on its trolley and carted it around to various locations for the last 5 years. It has never gone out of true, despite numerous blade changes and location changes. I've also used the Kapex in my workshop in a fixed station. Dust collection on the Bosch is usually via my big Festool vacuum and is not brilliant. It's better on the Kapex which extracts to a startrite extractor. Frankly NO SCMS has perfect dust collection without building an inconvenient enclosure. This is because you inevitably get sawdust coming straight off the work in front of the fence. It's no big deal frankly.

I regard the Bosch as a tough and very accurate saw. The Kapex is very accurate too and is a bit easier to use when setting up compound mitres, but I would not want to be taking it from one workshop to another very often. Both are quite heavy by the way.

The Bosch is less convenient if you want to operate it left handed, because of the handle orientation.

There would be no compelling reason for me to sell one and exchange for the other, if I only had one of these. If your son's Bosch is going out of true, it needs setting up properly. They are built like a tank.

In my opinion that is a total waste of money because once you get to a certain level of mitre saw then they all do the job and it is just peoples hands on that makes the buying decision. If buying a new mitre saw today I think it would be the Bosch GCM 12 GDL Mitre Saw | Bosch Professional as it solves my only issue with my current saw which is distance to the wall behind.

Value is subjective and up to the consumer to decide. True, all will cut and the Bosch and DeWalt have larger blades, but my decision to replace the DeWalt was based on quantitative evaluation. My shop is part of my basement with no windows for fresh air. Any dust I create and don't capture could make its way to the rest of my house, which would not be good for me on several levels.

I don't care about the chips and chunks I see on the table or floor, it's the small stuff floating around that I can't see that bothers me. I use a Dylos air quality meter to monitor the bad dust in my shop and it sits on the bench about a meter from the saw. When the small particle count exceeds 750-1000 above ambient, I stop working and let the ceiling-mounted air filter do its job. With the DeWalt, I could cut for about five minutes before I had to take a break. With the Festool Kapex, I ran out of work before I had to take a break.

The highest small particle count above ambient I ever noticed with the Kapex was about 250, and this was after about 45 minutes of cutting. There were plenty of chips on and around the saw, but none that I know of in my lungs or floating around the rest of the house.

When my shop was going to be in my garage, my first choice of saws was the Bosch. None of the stores or online shops had one in stock, so I went with Plan B, which was the DeWalt. When my shop location changed to the basement, I had to go with Plan C, which was the Kapex. For me, it was money well spent and now the volume of work determines the duration of use and not the volume of nasty dust. :)

Yes if dust extraction is vital, ie working in the basement with the misus above then you need extremely good dust management otherwise you are going to be in the dog house so in this case if the Kapex delivers then it is the right choice but otherwise it is a feature you can afford to not have. I tend to wear a mask when cutting most wood, and a really good mask when approaching MDF.

I had the bosch artic arm saw and it wasn't great tbh. for starters the sawblade and the arm were not in line. the whole thing was a bit shaky tbh. so if you wobbled the head it moved alarmingly(heavy saw though)
replaced with a kapex..lot more accurate and solid . Still a bit second fix though. not really a substitute for a decent cross cut accuracy wise

Check the brushes (assuming it's not brushless) this can cause slow starting and getting up to speed.
If it is brushes it's a cheap fix.

Ollie

Latest posts

Back