Bosch GKT 55 vs Makita Sp6000 track saw over analysis

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seve88

Reaction score
Hello,

I have read a few posts on here, YouTube and all of Peter Millard's excellent videos (thanks also for the excellent loose tenon jig).

My Titan tracksaw is good few years old. It does what I need to do now and in the future, but I want to treat myself to a new one, mostly for manade sheet work to build fitted storage etc. As I say, I don't really need a new one, but it is nice to have something that little more refined.

I have ruled out Mafell and Festool and come down between Bosch and Makita.

I already have Makita rails and a Tso square. In the long term it would be nice to have the option of going to Bosch rails, for the convenience of joining (again a luxury than a necessity). However, if the TSO connectors work as well as shown that may not be a consideration anyway.

I always connect to a dust extractor, but the Titan is okay but not great at extraction. I like the look of how the Bosch one has the small window at the front and wondered if that helped improve the extraction, or if the difference is so marginal it doesn't matter.

Secondly, anybody with hands on experience with the two prefer one to another and why? Would like to get hands on but apparantly no decent Bosch dealers local to me.

I know I am over analysing!

Thanks in advance.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, do you need a traditional plunging track saw or just track functionality?

I only say this as I barely use my original TS55 plunge saw now I have a HKC55. The HKC is battery powered can be used as a plunge rail saw but can also be used as a regular circular saw as well which the TS55 cannot.
Not to mention the crosscut rail is incredibly useful.

Just that if you are spending a bunch of money on a track saw then a saw that can be used with or without the rail is more useful in general. Not sure if Makita have similar stuff I know Mafell do the KSS saws which are similar.

Now you can over analyse that...

Of your original selection the Makita does a scoring cut like the Mafell which might be nice, personally I like Makita stuff.

Edit: looks like the Makita DHS710Z has 18/36 volt and can go on the rails too.

Ollie

Last edited:
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, do you need a traditional plunging track saw or just track functionality?

I only say this as I barely use my original TS55 plunge saw now I have a HKC55. The HKC is battery powered can be used as a plunge rail saw but can also be used as a regular circular saw as well which the TS55 cannot.
Not to mention the crosscut rail is incredibly useful.

Just that if you are spending a bunch of money on a track saw then a saw that can be used with or without the rail is more useful in general. Not sure if Makita have similar stuff I know Mafell do the KSS saws which are similar.

Now you can over analyse that...

Of your original selection the Makita does a scoring cut like the Mafell which might be nice, personally I like Makita stuff.

Edit: looks like the Makita DHS710Z has 18/36 volt and can go on the rails too.

Ollie
Thank you.

I will need the plunge function and already have a circular saw, albeit not one that goes along tracks.

Like the Makita score function for the amounts I'll do changing the plunge depth wouldn't be a huge concern.

You can plunge with the HKC it just has a slightly different mechanism not sure about the Makita one i mentioned.
Another slight advantage of battery saws is they have thinner kerf blades.
Can you get an adaptor for your existing saw?

Ollie

There was a good discussion on these forums a while back with @JobandKnock giving some good advice, on that advice I brought a Makita SP6000 and never looked back, it performs well and is cost effective doing what you would expect from a Makita product.

I went through the same selection deliberations and opted for Makita too.
I was lucky enough to be near an Axminster store that carried both and was able to have a proper look and feel.
The Bosch didn’t feel as robust to me and the plunge operation less comfortable although I preferred their blade depth mechanism and of course the track joining system.
The Makita though has a rubberised grip and the scoring cut but as said above, you can achieve this in other ways.
Both glided smoothly on their respective tracks and a bit of research showed me that extra Makita ones are more affordable if that’s a factor for you.
I’d have been very happy with the Bosch I’m sure, but the overall feel and operation of the Makita sold it for me.
I see your in Lancs so maybe a trip to their store in Warrington might help you too as at the time I purchased, they were fairly competitive if you bought the bundle.

I went through the same selection deliberations and opted for Makita too.
I was lucky enough to be near an Axminster store that carried both and was able to have a proper look and feel.
The Bosch didn’t feel as robust to me and the plunge operation less comfortable although I preferred their blade depth mechanism and of course the track joining system.
The Makita though has a rubberised grip and the scoring cut but as said above, you can achieve this in other ways.
Both glided smoothly on their respective tracks and a bit of research showed me that extra Makita ones are more affordable if that’s a factor for you.
I’d have been very happy with the Bosch I’m sure, but the overall feel and operation of the Makita sold it for me.
I see your in Lancs so maybe a trip to their store in Warrington might help you too as at the time I purchased, they were fairly competitive if you bought the bundle.
Thanks. Only about an hour away. Bosch are same price as Mafell and they don't seem to offer the Makita in saw only. Wouldn't want to go just to try and not be buying.

Nice insight about your thoughts on the feel though.

If anyone of you could throw some help, regarding rails and Track saws...?

My question is, being true Track saws so expensive in my contry (Mexico), and having a pair of old Bosch FSN 140 cm guide rails, No. 2 602 317 031;
I am thinking (along the full DIY tradition) of modifying a new Makita 5008MG 8 1/4" circular saw to adapt it to my Bosch rail, to make it work as a Track saw.

Actually, I am dissatified with the poorly implemented height adjustment mechanism of this Makita saw (made in china, BTW), because it is too flexible despite being made of "magnesium alloy". Apparently the screw that holds the height (depth of cut) adjustment against the vertical arc piece, has a too large hole bushing that has too much play or places a poor alignment to the surfaces it touches, so that when you place some force on the handle, the base mechanism tends to twist slightly. (Possibly could be reduced by turning a new spacer bushing that has much less freeplay inside and is better supported by the holddown screw)...
Anyhow, my question is: Do anyone have adapted a common circular saw to a track system with good results?

Back