BOSCH GHO 26-82D POWER PLANER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these?

I recieved mine yesterday and am really quite impressed with the cut quality (for a single blade), and the general build quality of the tool.

Except for one rather inportant thing. The infeed table (smaller of the two) is not at all parallel with the outfeed table. If I adjust the depth such that the area of the tables on either side of the blade is co-planer, and the area on the outfeed table is in contact with a straight edge, then the far end of infeed table is about 1mm out. Hopefully the image below helps explain more. The red area showing the 1mm gap.

Now I know this is a carpentry tool, so wasn't expecting it to be perfectly parallel, but this amount of error seems odd. And judging by how perfectly flat the tables are (milled very well), it's almost as though it is intentional or something? ... but my knowledge of how planers work, makes me think these have to be perfectly parallel and that amount of error will stop the tool working? At least from the point of view of flattening a piece of timber? maybe these tools are not designed to flatten, but to simply remove/smooth material?

Can anyone compare it to theirs?

Attachments

• Planer.png
    Planer.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 54
Well - I decided to take it apart to see what was going wrong. I take it back about the good build quality.

Although the front infeed table is a very nice cast and then milled piece of aluminium, the mechanism for the rise and fall is that it simply rides (with grease) on a very thin piece of ramped plastic (the same kind of plastic being used for the casing and wears/sands extremely easily).

Not only is it already showing signs of wear, but it's pretty flexible too :(

why? .... why do they do this? .. clearly not a tool that will last years to come and be passed onto family members.

As for the one mm gap, it seems to just be caused by flex in the plastic, and is better in some places than others.

Latest posts

Back