Bosch GEX150AC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper42

Established Member
Reaction score
Screwfix are selling this for £139 and some pennies, tempted as I could do with a new orbit sander. Anyone use one, any good!!

Regards
Austin

I got one in a trade. It was well used and needed the bearings replaced. I have done several bearing replacements on different tools but I found this impossible to repair. The main armature bearing is pressed on and inacessible because of the aluminium investment casting for the fan and the lower shell. There is no space and the aluminium lacks strength to allow use of pullers to drive out the spindle. I tried everything I could think of short of damaging the castings and making the repair uneconomic. Careful heating with a blowtorch couldn't free it and eventually I destroyed it without ever getting it apart.
So buy it as a disposable item. You can change the pad, brushes and electronics easily but once the main bearngs reach their hours, it's junk.
It damaged Bosch's reputation badly in my view. I tend to buy good tools with the intention of keeping and maintaining them through sets of brushes and bearings. I don't trust Bosch to be maintainable any more so I look elsewhere first.

I should add - that money will buy you the switchable orbit Metabo. I haven't had to crack that one yet to know if it's better designed than the bosch but it's a sucessful, popular machine that they have been making for decades...

Sideways, thank you for your input, I’ll take a look at the metabo as a better option.

Regards

Back