Bosch GCM 12 GDL - Replace laser with saw shadow line

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, an old saw, but the classification was correct at the time. They have changed the standards, but the hazard from very bright LEDS remains the same.

My Dewalt is a class 2 as well but it is a good 5 years old now. The LED i'm using certainly seems powerful enough, heat might become an issue if you go too high with power output. The Aluminium casing on this one should help disapate a lot of the heat too, its designed as a cabinet light after all. The PETG plastic I use has a heat tolerance of around 85° at continuous use, it prints at around 240°.

I have the complexion of an albino vampire, so NE Scotland suits me fine ;), be nice if it didnt rain quite so much though...

>the hazard from very bright LEDS remains the same.
Yes, absolutely. High power LEDs should not be considered safe to look at directly.
I assume you'd have to be fairly acrobatic to be able to stare directly at this once installed in the saw though?

If you were looking directly at this one, I would be more concerned about getting a saw blade through the face rather than damaging my eyesight! o_O;)

Indeed. If you're selling these, I guess it won't hurt to include a disclaimer that you shouldn't look directly at the LED though.

Any chance of these being offered for other popular saws like the popular Evolution, it would make a great addition?

Much as I would like to, since I dont own one I couldn't guarentee my design would work. Took quite a few iterations to get the design and angle for the LED to work. I would however advocate the usefulness of 3D Printers, they're pretty cheap now so with a bit of learning you could make your own. The 3D design aspect also lends itself to CNC
Machines, I'm building one for my workshop currently.

>the hazard from very bright LEDS remains the same.
Yes, absolutely. High power LEDs should not be considered safe to look at directly.
I assume you'd have to be fairly acrobatic to be able to stare directly at this once installed in the saw though?
When it's installed, you really have to try hard to look into it, but you have to assemble it and will almost certainly test to see if it works, and may inadvertently stare into it. However the OP is just using an already available commercial product.

My Dewalt is a class 2 as well but it is a good 5 years old now. The LED i'm using certainly seems powerful enough, heat might become an issue if you go too high with power output. The Aluminium casing on this one should help disapate a lot of the heat too, its designed as a cabinet light after all. The PETG plastic I use has a heat tolerance of around 85° at continuous use, it prints at around 240°.

I have the complexion of an albino vampire, so NE Scotland suits me fine ;), be nice if it didnt rain quite so much though...
If you are just using the standard supply from the saw, that will limit the output. Just do some tests to check the temp of the metal enclosure when the unit is running all closed up. Can the lamp be left on? run it for a few hours at a known ambient, then see what temperature the metal enclosure reaches. You will then be able to see what headroom you have for the plastic, for example if the lamp reached 60C at an ambient of 20C, you have roughly 25C headroom.

Back