Bosch GCM 12 GDL owners

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi gents, I know a couple of you at least have the lovely Bosch GCM 12 GDL saw, and wonder if you could help me with a quick question please? I couldn't find the answer anywhere:

If you place the saw against a wall, what's the total distance from the wall to the front edge of the fence? I'm designing a mitre saw station, and need to know what depth to cater for once I buy the saw

Thanks in advance!

Where have you been?

Anyway, see here!

I have just gone thru this very same exercise with the Bosch articulating arm saw last week. While it is true that the fence needs to be 13 inches from the wall for the 90 degree miter, I was forced to bring the fence out to 19.5 inches from the wall to accommodate the full range of bevel and miter capability. And these dimensions don't include the distance needed to use the factory supplied dust bag. That sticks out even further.

I have the Bosch glide 12" and found that only compound bevel cuts require more than the 13" or so from the wall. Over 99% of my cuts are straight 90 degree cuts or simple cuts between 45 and 135 degrees. I decided to mount the saw as close to the wall as possible for these simple cuts. I slide it away from the wall if I ever need to do a compound cut.

My saw station is torn down right now (between moves), but I believe that my workbench was 33" wide. No part of the saw sticks out past the 33" point. I think I could have made the workbench as narrow as 26", but then the adjustment knob would stick out unless it was turned to 45 or 135 degrees after the cut.

I really like the Bosch glide saw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/ind ... 30307.html

My (now) 13 month old daughter decided she didn't want me woodworking for the first year of her life. So I've been honing my nappie changing, wife liberating and general dogs bodying skills.

Now things are slightly calmer, I'm trying to sneak a few days in the workshop again!

You're obviously much better at internet research than I am - thanks very much for the link!

Just to be sure, I nipped out and measured mine. The mechanism never goes back further than the vertical bracket from which the mechanism articulates. On a 90 degree cut the distance from the back of the bracket to the front of the fence is 33.5 cm.

You do need to consider your extraction. If you use the (not that effective) onboard bag, then you need a few more cm (say 5) or else it gets in the way. If you use fixed extraction, this can be run within the 33.5cm clearance.

At maximum width mitre/compound mitre cuts, I think 40cm will deal with 99% of all work.

When building your saw station, it is worth adding some quick supplementary clamping, as the clamping post holes on the saw are quite limiting when doing compound mitre cuts on long pieces. (All such saws have this issue).

It is a very good saw.

Thanks AJB, that's really helpful. I am planning to enclose it in a shroud, as I'm aware the dust extraction is pretty poor, despite it being an awesome saw! I'm also not planning on doing any bevelled compound cuts, only cuts with the saw upright, and space in my single garage workshop is at a premium!

Good call on the additional clamping - I had seen that the screw clamp is a pain to use. I'll have a think about a better quick release solution. Maybe run some T-Track with a quick release ratchet clamp or similar...

Hello Bosch GCM 12 GDL owners, would one of you be able to help me please? I'm in the process of building a new workbench and would like to plan for this saw at a later date.

I'm looking for two dimensions and asking if someone could measure them for me.

1. The maximum width of the saw with the table extensions retracted.

2. The height of the cutting bed from the surface the saw is sitting on please?

When the saw is swung to its maximum extent in either direction, does this increase the width?

Thank you in advance.

Not completely sure which measurements you mean. Do me a little diagram and I will measure. Mine is mounted on the Bosch wheeled / foldable stand that I bought it with.

I hope this has worked, two yellow arrows to mark the dimensions I'm after.

I'm interested in the width with the extension pieces retracted.

Attachments

• sketch-1586022562075.jpg
    sketch-1586022562075.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 125
Height to table top is 95mm

Width is 700mm including the knob on the right had side (otherwise 680mm). Allow clearance for the blue adjusting knob.

Don't forget that the machined table surface is adjustable, and can open out (I am not talking about the trolley extensions) to 1.1 metres wide approx.

Back