Bosch Dovetail Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

At the risk of offending you purists out there, I'd like to ask if anyone has any experience with the above named jig.

Having bought one, thinking it was the top end of the range, I
haven't been able to cut a dovetail without the wood being the EXACT size.I thought the idea was to be able to cut on ANY width of wood. As usual the instructions are a complete waste of time. Would appreciate any sensible ideas on the subject ( apart from "do 'em by hand" ).

Thanks.

Hi Druid

Welcome to the group. Sorry, I don't have any experience of the Bosch but it sounds like a standard fixed width dovetail jig.

Does it cut both pieces of timber at the same time using just the one dovetail cutter? If so, you have a fixed width dovetail jig and the timber must be the correct width for the jig.

The top of the range dovetail jig is the Leigh and it costs 299 GBP. It allows you to define the size of each tail and pin.

Hopefully, another member can give you some more information.

Cheers
Neil

'Lo Druid,

What Neil said, including the not-having-any-experience-with-it bit, unfortunately. :( I think somewhere of other I have a Bosch video that came with my router (a million years ago) that extolls the virtues of this wondrous piece of kit. 'Fraid I wasn't convinced and got me a Woodrat instead. I think you just have to work round it's limitations by sizing your workpiece to get the best result you can. Not very helpful I'm afraid, but it can be done and has been for years and years, so don't lose heart.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Neil and Alf, appreciate the info you sent. I now know it's a fixed width jig Neil ( didn't when I bought it!! )Thanks. Like you say Alf I'll figure out a way to work round it - or flog it and get an easier one. Can't run to the Leigh just yet though!!

Once again, Thanks for your answers, really appreciated.

James,

Axminster used to stock it, but it seems to have disappeared now. (Hey Druid, maybe an increase in value in the collectors' market? :D ) In fact it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth entirely. It always seemed to be one of the better thought out jigs to me, but perhaps the £200 or thereabouts price tag didn't do it any favours.

Cheers, Alf

You are quite correct in saying that it used to be sold by Axminster and that it has disappeared off the face of the earth!!

I had a reply to an email I sent to Bosch Technical boys which calmly told me that they have no information about this jig but if I tried to contact TREND they may be able to help!!!

Not surprising that APTC have binned it! I actually paid £149 for it in November 2001 ( complete with cutter!!! Wow ). Wonder if I can get rid of it for £75??

Thanks for all your comments, really good to feel at home with the club.

Trend? I know they tend to scoop up other manufacturers' stuff and re-badge it, but off-hand I can't think that their jigs resemble the Bosch one much. Presumably the principles of operation are so similar they thought that might help. Hmm, in that case I'll look and see if I can find any helpful tips in relation to the Trend jig. Watch this space...

Cheers, Alf

Hi Druid

I have the Trend DJ300 jig and if you have any specific questions then please fire away and I will try to help.

Cheers
Neil

PS The new "hobbyist" Trend jig is less than 70 pounds, so you may struggle to get 75. :cry: :cry:

Latest posts

Back