Boring, Boring.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been trying my hand at getting to grips with my brace. I have been boring some holes into a bench at school and am looking at using it more often for large holes in work, that need to be a certain depth.

I notice that Chris Schwarz uses a depth stop on his brace, I think it is a No47 Stanley but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Anyone ever seen them around or know a place where I could get something similar?

They are not very common, maybe because they never sold very well. When they come up on eBay they seem to get quite a few bids. Alternatively you could ask the second hand dealer's listed on Alf's site.

It's much simpler to wrap a piece of masking tape round the bit (which won't damage anything) or count the turns - if you 'calibrate' first on a scrap piece this can be quite accurate. (But do notice whether your leadscrew is fine or coarse!)

Yeah I will look round some of those dealers.

I do find that masking tape after several holes eventually starts to shift or that I keep having to shift shavings out of the way when i get to the bottom of the bore.

I have that Stanley depth stop, although is a number 49 (may be 47 is another model?). I picked up it on ebay USA, were they appear more frequently. It works well but has the inconvenient of damaging the surface when it touch the wood; the issue is attenuated by light filing the feet edges. I took some pics of mine:
http://woodworkingbyhand2.blogspot.it/2 ... lways.html

Ciao
Giuliano :D

I wrap the tape around and then stick the tape together, sticky side to sticky side, so that I have a flap sticking out. It's easy to count the turns, and when it gets down close it sweeps the shavings out of the way.

Toby

I have seen both the split type and the No49 stop as well but not the No47.

I have included a picture from Chris Schwarz's blog below showing you exactly what it looks like. I prefer the look of this to the 49 as it is sprung and does not do any damage to the surface of the wood.

Stanley47_IMG_1162.jpg

This is my 49.

007-5.jpg

It's not the cleanest tool in my workshop, but that may be due to the fact that it is the least used! Braces and augers get a lot of use, but the problem with most, if not all, depth stops is that they are, quite frankly, a bit of a faff to use. Accurate and with a firm stop point, yes, but a bit of tape with the previously described flap is so much faster.

If I have a lot of holes to bore of the same depth with the same auger, I may turn to the depth stop because it won't move, but you can see how many times that has happened! They are nice things to have, and I am partial to the odd old woodworking tool..., and funny seeing people trying to figure out how to use them but tape wins almost every time.

El.

Another trad approach is to use the auger bit to drill a deep hole in a piece of wood, along the grain, and then shape the outside to leave a hollow tube which is a sliding fit on the bit. Then just trim the tube to the length required for the job, slightly chamfering the end in the hope that the shavings deflect rather than just disappearing inside and choking up.

Or make a sort of wooden clamp with two notched scraps of wood to straddle the bit, joined by a couple of woodscrews.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to stick to tape for now and get a No47 if I ever see one.

I have heard they are less of a faff as they can be swung out of the way when not in use, and seem less intrusive than the 49.

Thanks for that pic James, I have one of these but didn't know what it was :oops: !
chris

James, it was in a medium sized lot of tools from the local auction, actually a good buy(for a change!) as there were some nice bits hidden at the bottom. It's not all good, one end of the springy bit is badly bent but can still be used.
chris

Yeah I would be happy enough to find a used one but wouldn't go that far to own one.

I could get a really nice vintage brace for less than that probably. Or if I gave it to Jimi probably end up with 10 chisels and 4 planes and still have enough left over for a radio or two!

Back