Bootsale Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
We got quite a bit this morning - including this block plane that I have just dated to around 1907 and named as an early type #18.

DSCN0658s.jpg

It has the usual mouth chipping of grey cast BU planes

DSCN0657s.jpg

One pin missing from its knuckle joint

DSCN0659s.jpg

And its SweetHeart iron quite well used up

DSCN0662s.jpg

DSCN0661s.jpg

But I love it. I really like the way the adjuster mechanism works. It's very gradual what with screw and lever combination and the action of the knuckle is surprisingly good at holding everything firmly - even with just the one pin.

From what I read it looks like it should have a small, brass finger knob at the front instead of the 'orrible screw that someone has replaced it with to tighten up the sliding sole of the adjustable mouth. Job for the lathe when I get around to it.
I can't quite make out how the pivot pin that has survived is fixed - if it is threaded, there is no way to turn it (slot/faces etc.) It's not riveted - there is only one end of it pertruding. Bit of a puzzler.

just went and got my knuckle joint but it seems to be an later example than yours and the joint inside is quite different. if you need pics or dimensions of the front knob please ask.

but nice anyway, how many beer tokens if you dont mind?

adidat

Thanks for looking Adidat - yes seems to be pre 1915 they had this style of joint. I couldn't even find it on Blood and Gore.

It was eight and a half beer tokens. :)

here's mine

P1020180.jpg

the one on the right is a millers falls 56 a very solid little thing!

they both could do with a dunking in corro dip!

adidat

Aha, yes. That type of knuckle is the one I kept finding. They must have made more of them. That Millers Falls job certainly does look solid.

I've sharpened mine up and given it a go as is.

DSCN0664s.jpg

No problem with end grain Elm. It's as good as any old Stanley I've tried, interesting to have and to fix up but I prob'ly won't keep it.

Richard T":3c1ek9a1 said:
We got quite a bit this morning - including this block plane that I have just dated to around 1907 and named as an early type #18.

From what I read it looks like it should have a small, brass finger knob at the front instead of the 'orrible screw that someone has replaced it with to tighten up the sliding sole of the adjustable mouth. Job for the lathe when I get around to it.
I can't quite make out how the pivot pin that has survived is fixed - if it is threaded, there is no way to turn it (slot/faces etc.) It's not riveted - there is only one end of it pertruding. Bit of a puzzler.

I'm not an expert, a toolie or a collector or any of those things, but I quite like the idea of the "orrible screw" it suggests that somebody in its past liked it enough to replace the lost knob with whatever came to hand and continued to use it until the cracked mouth or lost pivot finally consigned it to the bottom of the toolbox or the back of the shed.

I think a sympathetic refurbishment by somebody like you or Jim is the least it's earned!

A good find this n° 18, Richard :D
I have one in very good conditions. Never used: I read about the fragility of early type knuckle joint mechanism, so I prefer to use other block planes I have in order to avoid damages.

This is mine:

e7l3ti.jpg

It has a 1 5/8" iron (more recent, made in England) so (following Patrick Leach info) should be post 1909, although I would like know its age better.

Richard T":13zvcumd said:
Why 1907? Have you other sources for dating this plane?

Ciao,
Giuliano

Well Richard...I think you win the prize this week for even FINDING a bootfair that wasn't totally submerged!!! =D>

Around here it shone...a bit...but all the bootfairs were closed as being unsuitable for vehicular traffic!

And to add to that...what a find! You don't get many that old at bootfairs and certainly not for that price.

Much though I am an advocate of restoration...and thanks Tony for the confidence....but I think that the rear mouth is in need of a bit more than a quick polish and I wouldn't know where to start with restoring that one. Brazing seems to be the only way but it is in such a critical condition...I think it not worthwhile.

Given that the front edge is far better and more critical...I would just leave it as a war wound...and it seems to cope ok anyway.

I'd FleaBay it international and buy some more tools when the sun shines mate...it will go to someone for quite a bit I feel...even for a transplant.

Jim

Ciao Giuliano,

When I say about 1907, about is the important bit :) I know that pre 1900 the humps on the sides were further back and that by 1915 they had started to use the type of knuckle joint that adidat's has. I just happened to Google a photo of one labled 1907 so guessed is was about right.
Good to see the front knob is the same sort of profile. I might ask my buddy Geoff to turn it for me - I think my metal turning skills are not yet up to that hollow in the top.

Jim .... sorry to tell you but not only was the bootsale very busy yesterday but there was a guy with a big box of many old radios. :mrgreen: I thought of you but wasn't tempted myself.
Our bootsale gets away with the weather much better than others as it is on an old airfield. Trouble is, it's also popular with festivals in the summer. First is Earth Cauldren or what ever it's called and then it's the Bulldog Bash and will be full of bikers. I saw the fences had arrived already.

Agreed, the mouth is a lost cause - it's something that 'just happens' to these plains. Though it looks a fright it doesn't affect the performance. I'm sure that anyone in the know about such planes will understand. As I said above I will get me a new knob turned up. The screw that is in it is unturnable with gentle persuasion so I will re cut its slot and try to get it out without further damage. I'm sure the thread 'aint right. Then to suss the correct thread - American ... could be interesting.
Other than that there is just the pin in the knuckle joint which is still a mystery. I'll bring it to show Bill C. Maybe he might have encountered them.

I couldn't agree more Tony - this plane seems like a real survivor. I get the feeling that it has never been misused but has had a very long working life.

The adjuster nut and lever bear testament as while the brass knurling and faces of the nut are worn and polished with use ...

DSCN0667s.jpg

... the pips that engage in the slots in the iron are perfectly well intact. I can see that this might not always be the case with this design over so many years.

Richard T":8jaby762 said:
Ciao Giuliano,

When I say about 1907, about is the important bit :) I know that pre 1900 the humps on the sides were further back and that by 1915 they had started to use the type of knuckle joint that adidat's has. I just happened to Google a photo of one labled 1907 so guessed is was about right.

Well, from your info I can say mine is between 1909 and 1915 :D
Thanks
What about the lateral lever. It is missing or was not present in earlier models?

2zdr6rn.jpg

I strongly suspect it's missing Giuliano ... that will be fun to make. Thanks for the picture that will be a great help.

I had just assumed it was adjusted by directly moving the iron from side to side by hand - which is possible but a lever would help.

Latest posts

Back