Bootfairs in the Tropics!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Andy

Like your storage idea, if that parcel tape veneer on a cardboard substrate?

:lol:

Just been trying to find a photo of my colection, dam I said it. I must have up loaded it here its not on photobucket.

Edit found it

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Pete

Attachments

• DSC_0004-1.jpg
    DSC_0004-1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 96
Andy, Rod and Jim, thanks for putting in the time to research my saw, I really appreciate it. Added a couple of books to my want list too!

I think a sympathetic resto is in order, the handle has a nice patina, but also a small chip to the bottom horn, but it is so old, it has taken on the same colour as the rest of the handle and has been worn almost smooth, would be a shame to repair it.

The back may come under the influence of Brasso, and the plate cleaned, but the brass will tarnish up again in short order, so no permanent harm. Then it's a case of donning the Optivisor and a tiny file. I was tempted to send it to Pedder, but I find saw sharpening a slow and meditative process (and it gets me out of the way when there is the threat of being ordered to weed the garden!)

I'll do a WIP for this and the two Disstons from last week, when I get a chance.

Nice to see you doing the sharpening yourself Scouse....you are braver than me.

I use my little Robert Sorby that Pedder sharpened virtually all the time...when not using a thin kerf Ryoba. It is superb! Just to remind you how beautiful Pedder's work was...

DSC_0002.JPG

Can I ask a favour...?

I cringe when I hear the word "Brasso" associated with tools...can you get some MAAS POLISH instead. You will not regret it!

Brasso is highly abrasive and you will wear things like maker's marks. MAAS is very kind to the metal...and you can stop at the patina whilst cleaning off the muck.....

DSC_0005.JPG

I wouldn't restore the chip either if it doesn't interfere with your hand....but if you decide to do it....I can help you through the process...from...

DSC_0319.JPG

....to.....

DSC_0366.JPG

I look forward to all the WIPs and good luck with this beauty!

Cheers

Jim

As promised here's some makers marks, I hope they are of some interest. I've thrown in a few hollows for good measure. I stand corrected on the spare Sorby iron not fitting; I didn't notice that cap iron was slightly misaligned and made the whole thing too wide.

The Sorby stamp:

322e64c3.jpg

3ae4129d.jpg

1844bdb8.jpg

90248de7.jpg

f377773b.jpg

Yes, very interesting. I only have the second edition of Goodman's British Planemakers, not the unobtainable third edition which has more makers in. Bond of Bethnal Green Road is in with just a single date of 1863 (so there was presumably not much evidence of him) but I can't see anything there about Short of Essex Road.

And then in your last photo you have an early Ames which is London again, 1800-28, one that looks like Richardson of ????ade (Lechlade?) which is not in the book either, and then you have three by a mysterious W Burdick.

Burdick is another name not in Goodman, but the style of namestamp looks early to me - could we see some more pictures of these?

I think they need a proper expert - Richard Arnold, are you there?

And Dave, please tell me these weren't all in the box for £1.50!

Can't find Burdick anywhere but AMES I have...

John Ames and John Ames and Sons

Great Almonry, Westminster. 1800 - 53

25 Tothill Street, Westminster 1840-44.

The BURDICK ones are stunning...the patina is just fantastic.

As you say...very old stamps...hand made by the look of it.

Jim

AndyT":1p3iq1jg said:
Yes, very interesting. I only have the second edition of Goodman's British Planemakers, not the unobtainable third edition which has more makers in. Bond of Bethnal Green Road is in with just a single date of 1863 (so there was presumably not much evidence of him) but I can't see anything there about Short of Essex Road.

And then in your last photo you have an early Ames which is London again, 1800-28, one that looks like Richardson of ????ade (Lechlade?) which is not in the book either, and then you have three by a mysterious W Burdick.

Burdick is another name not in Goodman, but the style of namestamp looks early to me - could we see some more pictures of these?

I think they need a proper expert - Richard Arnold, are you there?

And Dave, please tell me these weren't all in the box for £1.50!

Fascinating, perhaps they are older than I imagined. Thank you for looking into it, I do appreciate it. I will try to get some more photos tomorrow. And this time I'll use a real camera.

Rest assured they were not in the £1.50 box! I bought a stack of 1950s Woodworker magazines on ebay, and when I collected them the seller had a few boxes of random tools he was also getting rid of. He let me take the five hollows, a coffin smoother and a fret saw for a tenner 8)

jimi43":2qiyv7dn said:
I cringe when I hear the word "Brasso" associated with tools...can you get some MAAS POLISH instead. You will not regret it!

Thanks Jim, Pedder might yet be getting a call, there is a fair amount of jointing to be done before sharpening; not sure if I'm that brave!

That's a nice repair on the handle, this one's so old though it adds character. And I've ordered some Maas polish... between that and Coro-dip you do have expensive taste though! :mrgreen:

El.

Scouse":2l4rzc5k said:
jimi43":2l4rzc5k said:

Thanks Jim, Pedder might yet be getting a call, there is a fair amount of jointing to be done before sharpening; not sure if I'm that brave!

That's a nice repair on the handle, this one's so old though it adds character. And I've ordered some Maas polish... between that and Coro-dip you do have expensive taste though! :mrgreen:

El.

Hi Scouse

I have been working on the expensive taste for a while now...all I need to master is the cash to go with it! :mrgreen:

A "Pedder Sharpened" saw is without doubt one smarter decisions I have ever made though...his work is perfection personified!

MAAS will last you ages...don't use much...you don't need to. The small tube I have is nearly empty but that is well over a year old. Don't rub too hard either...let the solvents gently do their work and you can stop when you think it is perfect...removing dirt and age-old grime but not touching the patina...unless you want it to..then you go further.

Obviously it is obligatory to post the WIP pics when you do restore it though! 8)

Jim

Back