Bootfairs in the Tropics!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice hauls all. But without even leaving the house I picked up a five foot mortice chisel. Bit of help from AndyT, and Paypal.

Hi, Condo

You will need a very big stone to sharpen a five foot wide chisel :shock:

Pete

jimi43":1w1bk746 said:
How much did that little baby set you back if you don't mind me asking?

50p, I'm ashamed to say! It was just in a bucket under the table, unloved, but not any more!

Still hunting for info on old Graves saws, but that's half the fun, as your thread on this weeks haul testifies!

Having said that, wouldn't it be great if someone Andy T with an already near encyclopaedic knowledge Andy T were to write a book on old English makers, to bring them all together in one reference volume? Andy T! :mrgreen: :wink:

El.

Now come on guys, play fair. There is such a book, called something like "A Checklist of English Saw Manufacturers." I don't have a copy. I think Bugbear probably has one, and I know that Alf does, but a silly name-calling thread provoked her to give up posting on here, which is our collective loss.

Maybe an apology from those concerned would bring her back.

Meanwhile we will just have to keep posting about these great finds, and try to tempt her to break her silence by piling on the sheer quantity of good stuff still languishing unloved out there!

Didn't mean 5 feet wide, Pete. It's an 1875 hand morticer, 5 feet tall. It's odd the things you discover that you need, isn't it.
Pics later, of course

Hi, Condo

Why would you need mortices in your hand :wink:

Pete

AndyT":2ghaa70c said:
Now come on guys, play fair. There is such a book, called something like "A Checklist of English Saw Manufacturers." I don't have a copy. I think Bugbear probably has one, and I know that Alf does, but a silly name-calling thread provoked her to give up posting on here, which is our collective loss.

Maybe an apology from those concerned would bring her back.

Meanwhile we will just have to keep posting about these great finds, and try to tempt her to break her silence by piling on the sheer quantity of good stuff still languishing unloved out there!

110% Andy...a real shame that we should have lost the irreplaceable input from ALF but I also understand her views and reason for the action she has taken and I wish her well.

Scouse....I don't know if it is a typo or a visit to Specsavers is needed but it's R.GROVES & SONS:

R.Groves & Sons
Behive Works
Sheffield

1824-1889

...according to W.L.Goodman (because they also made plane irons)

So absolutely fantastic old mid-Victorian find and I strongly advise a trip to Germany for that little baby so that Pedder can work his magic on the gnashers! 8)

Especially since your entire investment so far is 50p and a mild case of sunburn! :mrgreen:

Jim

Racers":1vdonrbe said:
Hi, Condo

Why would you need mortices in your hand :wink:

Pete

To match the tendons in the joints of course! SILLY!! :roll:

Oh dear...and it is so HOT for a coat...will a pair of trunks do? :mrgreen:

Jim

Back on Scouse's "Groves" saw - but probably telling you what you already know.

The book I was half remembering was "Handsaw makers of Britain" by Erwin L Schaffer and Don McConnell. It's the source material for the on-line checklist at http://www.backsaw.net

I can't make their search facility work to find the Groves entry, but there are some glowing references if you search the site, referring to a Groves saw as the inspiration for some of the new wave of quality makers.

Also, in an ealier thread Harbo said he had a copy, so maybe he can add something. The book itself may have become a rare collectible. Anyone have a spare copy or two?

That is a nice saw Scouse :)

I was recovering from a night shift this week but SWMBO picked up a few things.

She bought this tray for her greenhouse for £1.50:

3175e5d2.jpg

And got this junk with it for free:

cdaf5d87.jpg

You should send the missus more often Dave....there are some interesting gauges there and I am intrigued by the planes...are they rebate?

I think you could sell all the pin gauges on fleabay separately and buy something nice...I'm sure they will fetch a fiver each at least.

Can we have more details on the planes and spare iron...are there any maker's marks?

Jim

It's a mystery to me why people think they only need one marking gauge. It's so much easier to have one for each measurement you might need!
I too like the idea of the spare iron - a handy incentive to come up with a new design of plane.

What's puzzling me is that the first picture shows two gauges that are not in the second picture - do you have a nest of them breeding at the back of the bench?

Someone call?

Groves & Son, Richard Sheffield 1817-1821
Groves & Sons, Richard Sheffield 1822 - 1911
Allen Street (1822-1834)
71 Snow Lane (1833) & Shales Moor & 207 Moorfields, Bee Hive Works (Limited by 1903)
Queen Bee saw?

Mark: USE

Succeeded by Moses Eadon
(Sons Thomas & William Groves

Rod

The missus usually comes with me to the bootsales... she's a ruthless haggler :shock:

The planes are both skew rebates (do I really need three?). What's interesting is that they both have much larger escapements than my own skew rebate, which tends to choke a bit. What's even more interesting is that it was the missus who noticed it. I wonder how much it affects the rigidity?

The marking gauges are all pretty beaten up. Several have multiple pin holes where the pin has presumably come loose and been refitted. And several have a crack in the stock. The missus has already earmarked one to be converted into a pencil gauge for her own use. I may keep one or two of the others depending on how well they clean up, particularly the cutting gauge.

The spare iron is a Sorby. Not sure what I'm going to do with it as it's slightly too wide for the coffin smoother. The iron in the smoother has a stamp but is too far gone for me to read it (pre-corro dip, that is). I'm sure there's a stamp or two on the plane bodies but I won't know what they are until I'm back in the shed. I must post them up as tool histories have become a bit of a sport on here as of late :p

Andy I certainly agree that more gauges are handy to have, but I think eight might be getting a bit excessive!

Nice bit of research there Rod!

Dave...

I think you will find that you can only collect gauges in tens...you can't have just eight so you will need to get another two to balance your collection. :mrgreen:

If you have a couple of spare planes though...you might like to tell the inland revenue...you could be in for a tax rebate...

OK OK...getting me bedsocks on....night! :oops:

Jim

Hi, Dave

Nice gages, I like the two wedged ones.
I found a nice one a while ago and used it as a pattern to make some more.

Pete

Racers":16ik1spt said:
I found a nice one a while ago and used it as a pattern to make some more.

Pete

Way to go, Pete. Marking gauges - like gimlets - are one of those tools you don't really need to set out to get - they just come along with other stuff, in a fascinating variety of subtly different designs, each with its own quirks. This is most of mine - you can see that I have resisted the urge to create a fine hardwood climate-controlled rack for them:

IMG_0664.jpg

DTR":4k0onkbk said:
The planes are both skew rebates (do I really need three?). What's interesting is that they both have much larger escapements than my own skew rebate, which tends to choke a bit. What's even more interesting is that it was the missus who noticed it. I wonder how much it affects the rigidity?

Dave

Here is a selection of some rebate planes for comparison. The wider ones (at the top) have the wider mouths. They would have been used for fairly rapid work, taking a thick shaving - and still will, up to something as thick as a spill. The narrower ones are tighter mouthed and feel more suited to fine work.

IMG_0665.jpg

I'd recommend that you keep them all. (No surprise there!) The cash value is next to nothing. If you have a selection, then you can have some set coarse and some set fine and spend less time fiddling with them.

The bottom left hand one is C19th French - but with no big difference in design - and I believe they are still fairly widespread over there. I remember seeing some in a hypermarket once, in with the mainstream diy tools.

Latest posts

Back