Bootfair Brass Infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
This should make a nice project....I never cease to be amazed at what you find at bootfairs...

DSC_0001.JPG

It has a really narrow mouth...

DSC_0003.JPG

Now all I have to do is choose...Brazilian or Box....mmmm

DSC_0004.JPG

and then either get the stock and fire up the enamel kiln or speak nicely to Aled....Aled?

DSC_0006.JPG

At only a fiver this weighs in just just shy of 4lbs and is 8" by 1 1/4" solid brass.

It has a few filled cast holes but other than that...this is going to be a beautiful project...watch this space for WIP

Jim

hi Jim

it's no good me being :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: aint got the time at the mo , not enough hrs in the day , but hell i am . good luck mate this will be my rest time watching your WIP refurb this little buet. so come on mate i need a break . :D :D :D hc

Jeez Louise Jimi!
You either have the best car boots in the world, or you're the King of Car Boots.
You should go on Car Booty.
Can't wait to see what you do to this. Going on your past record, it's going to be stunning.
Good luck mate.

Adam.

HA! Yes I do have good bootfairs BUT...as I said to Tom...you have to be early...it is pointless turning up at any time except right at the start as the dealers will beat you to it...I missed a Norris smoother before this one but that sold for £200 which was probably about the right mark.

You have to be a right galoot or plane slope nut to even recognise what this was so the dealers passed it by. I was just lucky an ikey mo didn't pick it up for the scrap value...very lucky!

Clearly it was a reject from an old factory as it has never been "infilled"...the casting pits may very well have put it beyond sale but it is now worth finishing many many years later.

I would appreciate help from the infill experts here as to how the infill should be on this. I think it should have a horn at the halfway point...if I am not mistaken. I am craving to use English Box...but I may very well restort to some rosewood...but if so...I think some recycled Brazilian would be the only choice. Any other ideas?

It is really strange because had this been finished...any restoration would have been a sin but....since it was never started then I am going to take it down level on each surface...whittle up a blade....bang in a few bits of exotic scrap (I see a trip to Timberline coming on)...and then use it!

Cheers

Jim

There's a possibility that it might not be very old - a few companies have had a go at selling castings as infill kits - I think there was one called Shepherd. Bristol Design (in Bristol) still have castings like it for sale - but I expect they cost more than a fiver!

Well done - I'm sure you'll make a good job of it.
I'd suggest going through some of the pictures of the high end stuff sold at auction and matching yours up - at the David Stanley site here

http://www.davidstanley.com/index.html

or Tony Murland here:

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/about.php

Jim

Have a look at Karl Holtey's website if you want to see some gorgeous shoulder plane infills. Box would look very nice indeed.

Jim

hi Jim

recycled brazilian wood would be traditional , but, hm box wood sound good to me different , cant Waite till the refurb starts , I'm going to enjoy this one. hc :wink:

Yes...the Holtey planes are superb....maybe I should aim for this one...

spiers1219apa.jpg

Not dovetail..of course but this gives me some choice of infill and the lefthand one...the boxwood...mmm I love that one....but the others are beautiful too...ebony is very understates and as you say HC...rosewood...my favourite wood and the traditional choice...

So...just squared up the body a bit....still ages to go yet but it is coming along...

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

I think the 01 stock that I have is a bit thick....maybe not...I will have to check...but it's a pipper to cut into a spade...

Later...

Jim

Could this be the project that your lovely lump of burr elm has been waiting for?

AndyT":brwo0m3k said:
Could this be the project that your lovely lump of burr elm has been waiting for?

Then what would I use for a photo stand? :mrgreen:

From general concensus...I think the burr elm would be too fragile for the wedge...or am I wrong here...

I would love to use it for that....dearly love to....

Jim

RILEY":2h3ezxrb said:
Jimi, infuse it with resin, like Blue Spruce do with their mallet heads.
It'd be pretty indestructible then!
It WOULD look the b0ll0cks.

Adam.

This was exactly what I had in mind last time we discuss the uses for my elm Adam.

So...if I do this...do I just get some liquid resin like the West System...mix in some hardner and then soak it in it...or is it more complicated than that?

Jim

jimi43":3aisjp2m said:
RILEY":3aisjp2m said:
Jimi, infuse it with resin, like Blue Spruce do with their mallet heads.
It'd be pretty indestructible then!
It WOULD look the b0ll0cks.

Adam.

This was exactly what I had in mind last time we discuss the uses for my elm Adam.

So...if I do this...do I just get some liquid resin like the West System...mix in some hardner and then soak it in it...or is it more complicated than that?

Jim
I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I are going to provide the answers, but here's a setup I've been contemplating for a while....
Using a vacuum chamber and vac pump to draw the resin into the timber, as in resin infusion.
I hope to get the chamber done shortly, just have to source the components.
Check out youtube - there's loads of videos showing resin infusion, veneer dyeing etc.
I've been toying with the idea for stabilising burr blanks to make marking gauge heads.

HTH.

Adam.

I've kind of got used to it as a photo stand for tools now....

But I know where to get some more so I might try it even if it isn't for this job.

I have to admit...the first time I saw this....

A13_27th.jpg

I wanted to use boxwood.

But...rosewood is still my most favourite wood to work with....

Just another question....

With the iron/blade...is it necessary to bevel the spade end?

Jim

Is it just me or does the backhandle resemble the
handle of a saw?

Beautiful plane that last one, but the handle kills it
for me.

To be honest, the plain yellow coloured boxwood is
also not my taste.

Ali27

RILEY":ia84no63 said:
I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I are going to provide the answers, but here's a setup I've been contemplating for a while....
Using a vacuum chamber and vac pump to draw the resin into the timber, as in resin infusion.
I hope to get the chamber done shortly, just have to source the components.
Check out youtube - there's loads of videos showing resin infusion, veneer dyeing etc.
I've been toying with the idea for stabilising burr blanks to make marking gauge heads.

HTH.

Adam.

Hi Adam, this is one of the things on my list to do with my Vac Pump. Would be interested to see what you come up with.

Latest posts

Back