Quantcast

Boot sale puzzler. Tool ID if you can help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Reaction score
Crikey Haggis. Bit late to the party but it's still in the kitchen drawer. Bought for a quid as a whatsit for this forum out of interest. If you (or anyone) have a genuine interest in owning it I can post it. It baffles me.

Bedrock

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up on this belatedly. When I was a kid, my parents gave my brother and I, a childrens' tool set in a nice wooden box. I still have the hammer, a Mahwood bevel edge chisel, and a beech plane like yours, just under 6" long, with a 1 1/2" blade, is simply marked Sheffield. Some time ago, I converted it into a compass plane by radiusing the sole. Works quite well. There was also a small handsaw which was rubbish.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Worked for GPO in '70's, home/small business installs. Not seen in pole installations.
Brief time in old country exchanges, again not seen.
Idea: Roll the 'roller' along the edge of something (wall?) and the two markers will leave their mark parallel
to the edge. *if* (big if) used for cable installing (all done by eye) why other than neatness would you want
to mark a regulation distance from an edge?
Go back even further, UG lead cased cables, it could mark a line along the cable, perhaps for cutting?

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Reaction score
Do you know what...
I wonder if it's for cutting the outer casing of big cable?

novocaine

Established Member
Reaction score
Turns out its a mortise gauge. 😂
made by Marples. :)
Tjere was one on ebay a while back. Comes up in google search for gpo mortise gauge so it must be true. ;)

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
Turns out Bedford invented hollow rolled drilled steel. Whoda thunk it?
At a guess, their current employees :p

In all seriousness, the Bedfords site is still in production making seamless tubulars...

I know this because after repeatedly paddling past the back of their be site in my canoe, I just had to work out what the site used to be, only to be pleasantly surprised that they're still going strong today.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
At a guess, their current employees :p

In all seriousness, the Bedfords site is still in production making seamless tubulars...

I know this because after repeatedly paddling past the back of their be site in my canoe, I just had to work out what the site used to be, only to be pleasantly surprised that they're still going strong today.
As I was reading that, the advert which annoyingly flashes up on the right hand side was for "THE METAL STORE" showing tubular handrails, was that a coincidence or do conspiracy theories exist? ;)

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Reaction score
As I was reading that, the advert which annoyingly flashes up on the right hand side was for "THE METAL STORE" showing tubular handrails, was that a coincidence or do conspiracy theories exist? ;)
I believe that's called an algorithm Mike.
*dons foil hat

Latest posts