Boot sale 19/2/2012 Sunday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Went out again this morning 6.40 am

Scrape the ice off the windscreen :shock:

Just getting light so no need for a torch today :lol:

several goodies

4 1/2
5 1/2

nice saw

I was going to make a dibber but the material would cost more than the £1 I paid for this

So all in all a rather good hunt :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 1,314
  • IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_1444.JPG
    IMG_1444.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 1,314
  • IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,312
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,312
Very good indeed for a frosty February morning.
I'm really starting to get itchy now; I don't know what it is that I need, but I know it's out there waiting for me somewhere. Oo, oo! I know - flat paring chisels. That's what I haven't got. And a corner chisel ....AND genuine spoon bits and, and, and ... etc.

Nice haul! First week up here too. The only thing that caught my eye was a Record 050 in its box but he wanted £40 and wouldn't budge so it stayed there and n 8 inch dovetail saw, 12 ppi, for 50p, nice and heavy, but no name. (I've added a pic, sorry if it counts as a hijack, doesn't seem worth it's own thread!)

003-8.jpg

Richard T":1y0zbjho said:
Very good indeed for a frosty February morning.
I'm really starting to get itchy now; I don't know what it is that I need, but I know it's out there waiting for me somewhere. Oo, oo! I know - flat paring chisels. That's what I haven't got. And a corner chisel ....AND genuine spoon bits and, and, and ... etc.

Itchy feet!!! My car nearly drove itself to Essex this morning without me!!! :mrgreen:

Great haul Allen....it just goes to show what a difference that hour and a half makes doesn't it!?

Officially you rate as a dealer if you go that early in February...even I don't get up that early in Winter....but I hear that it's going to be 18 degrees by Thursday in Kent so I might venture out further. We don't start here until the big one on March 4th so getting psyched up for that...and saving the pennies. Also Annie is sorting the loft again as we speak!

That's a nice little dovetail saw there Scouse...I wonder if we will get a load of tykes out there this year collecting things like this for the scrap...there's more than 50p worth of brass in that back for sure. I need an old old old one with a great squiggly mark so that I can make a Bill Carter plane copy....I love the way he makes his mini-mitres and I just need the logo for the mojo it gives.

Roll on March...every Sunday in March is booked as leave for me...my team are getting a bit fed up with me going on about it! :mrgreen:

Jim

Well mine wasn't a boot fair, but our local on-line, small-ads paper called Trade-It. I got six sash cramps and five G-clamps for £20.
I've got some cleaning to do, and one clamp is missing its swivel foot (any ideas about replacements?), and ALL the sash cramps are missing their pins, but overall I'm really pleased. I'll post up a few pics shortly.

Eric The Viking":9rkp5efx said:
Well mine wasn't a boot fair, but our local on-line, small-ads paper called Trade-It. I got six sash cramps and five G-clamps for £20.
I've got some cleaning to do, and one clamp is missing its swivel foot (any ideas about replacements?), and ALL the sash cramps are missing their pins, but overall I'm really pleased. I'll post up a few pics shortly.

Post up some pictures of the missing bits Eric....I may very well have something which will fit sitting in my "sad orphan" box. I am short of pins too...they fall off and get lost...and you can easily make some out of some steel rod with holes drilled in for chains and I must get around to doing that for mine...to replace the 6" nails!! :oops:

What a bargain though! =D>

Jim

Here you go.

Sash cramps: The long ones are about 40" (say 36" usable), the next three are about 32" usable, and the shortest one is bent :-(.
All the holes are 17/64", presumably for 1/4" pins. 6.5mm will do, and I'm wondering about 6mm bolts, as the heads are easy to drill for wire. All but one of them have both ends paired up, but that's not a big deal. A couple have the war office benchmark, and I suspect all of them are war finish.

cramps-CU.jpg

seen-better-days.jpg

lost-cause.jpg

Also bent is the biggest G-clamp (Woden 10") goodness knows how they managed it, but it's on two axes and would be quite 'interesting' to try to bash straight (I'm no blacksmith!) I don't think I"m going to try! One of the smaller ones is missing a pad, leaving three users. The padless one might find use as a welding clamp though:

clamps.jpg

I had a cunning idea about electrolysis in the DC's Growbag tray (tomatoes aren't to be planted just yet!) , but you can see they won't fit :-(

aint-gonna-work.jpg

They'll need a bit of work, but I'm still pleased, anyway.

E.

PS: The 'seen better days' one has a Woden end on a Record body. All the rest seem to be properly matched. Never mind - it'll still clamp though!

Attachments

• cramps-CU.jpg
    cramps-CU.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • clamps.jpg
    clamps.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 1,081
  • aint-gonna-work.jpg
    aint-gonna-work.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • seen-better-days.jpg
    seen-better-days.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • lost-cause.jpg
    lost-cause.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,065
That my dear Eric...is what we commonly call "a blinkin' steal"!!!!

Ah...I see...foot on the G cramp missing! That might be a bit difficult mate...probably not worth sorting as those are pressed on and the top start crimped usually. You could bodge something up but is it really worth the time?

I'd just wait until another bargain like that comes up locally or at a bootfair and get some more!

Bravo mate! =D>

Jim

Hi, Eric

You won't get the bent G cramp straight its cast iron and won't survive a straightening DAMHIKT

I would pull off the foot and bash it on the missing foot one.

Very nice haul .

Pete

Racers":3msihoz5 said:
Hi, Eric

You won't get the bent G cramp straight its cast iron and won't survive a straightening DAMHIKT

I would pull off the foot and bash it on the missing foot one.

Very nice haul .

Pete

Sorry to disagree Pete, but I managed to re-align a bent Woden G-Clamp. I used a great lump of a machine vice on a very heavy bench and a long lever. It must have been made of more ductile stuff. Still if the Clamp is unuseable, why not give it a go? After all what is there to loose?
xy

Thanks guys - will WIP if I get a proper resto organised, as they really need it (which is why I didn't feel too bad paying £20).

@XY: I tend to agree about carefully-applied force, possibly with heat too. They ought to be ductile as cast iron would just shatter in use.

Incidentally the Acme thread shaft is too short for the clamp too, it stops short of the other jaw by about 3". You sad the one you fixed was a Woden -- was it the same, or do you think the shaft is pinched from somewhere else?

Cheers,

E.

Eric, I don't recall thinking the screw was short, so I think it must have been OK. That's the sort of thing I remember, probably chucking it out after picking it up two, or three, times and finding that it didn't work. You've got a great haul there. Pins in Sash clamps seem to disappear all the time. Now I wonder if there is a limited business opportunity for someone with a metal lathe and too much time?

xy

Nice find, XY!

Hmm. I wonder if they're still to Imperial sizes. All the recent ones I've seen have been straight (no taper), but that would be fine as long as they fit (1/4").

I've got a couple of 'silverline' four-footers (wretched things are chromed, and it's coming off!), but they're probably from the same stable, so I'll do some measuring. I've also got at least one pair of cramp heads I'll never use now, so they might donate, too...

Many thanks, E.

What's worse than not getting to your local car boot sale? Is it seeing this indecent haul of ironmongery claimed by other, more fortunate souls? No. It's getting an email from your local tool pusher telling you in advance exactly what he'll have at the local car boot sale you can't get to. ](*,)

Personally I'd skip the pins and use nuts and bolts, Eric. But that's just me; darn pins always seem to drop out at just the wrong moment for muggins here.

I share your frustration, Alf!

Incidentally I have a neat trick for taming my sash cramps, but it only works with Record originals (and possibly the new-to-me Woden ones): Two lengths of M6 studding from Toolstation, with nuts and penny washers. You can use the stuff to space/align your cramps before the glue up, and it holds them upright too. Toolstation have now started selling what they call 'connector nuts' too, so you can have big spaces between cramps.

It doesn't work on the Silverline pair of cramps I have though. This is because the holes aren't identically spaced D'oh! (homer) you wouldn't believe it!

Cheers, E.

Paul Chapman":2gy4wm5r said:
Alf":2gy4wm5r said:
Personally I'd skip the pins and use nuts and bolts............ darn pins always seem to drop out at just the wrong moment

+1

Cheers :wink:

Paul
-1...you're all doing it wrong! Pins rule, I've had all my pins in my sash cramps for the last 35 odd years and never lost a pin. The only time they come out is when I go to hang them on the rack and the slidy shoe thingie falls off the bar onto the 'shop floor...a bit like somat else I won't mention :-" :-# that drops off and falls on the floor :evil: - Rob :evil:

Back