Boot Sale 10/6/12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Went out for a walk today :lol:

Ended up with a few bits :D

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

all 3 for £4

Then my cheapest ever steel plane

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

Record No5

£2 :mrgreen:

Then this job lot

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

Tiny little ratchet screwdriver about 5" long 8)

£8 the lot :D

Anyone know what this is ? :?

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Thats the lot for today

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blister":1pjsmcw5 said:

Hmmm,

Something I didn't know about! I don't really care about not being famous for making planes but what's with the 'son' business.

And since when did any member of my family live north of the Thames?

News to me :D

It's an Engineer's Scraper, Blister. Used for scraping bearing surfaces to fit a shaft. The usual drill is to cover the shaft with a very thin smear of marking blue, assemble to the bearing (which is usually split), revolve back and to a couple of times, then dissemble and scrape off the blued patches on the bearing. Repeat (many times) until you have the specified contact - say 75% blued contact. (This will only work if the shaft is true and well finished - you'll never fit a bearing to a worn shaft, however hard you try.)

I think that example is a fairly recent one by Eclipse. I think they're still available new from the likes of J&L Industial and Cromwell Tools. To work well, they need to be sharpened (!) on a fine Arkansas or similar oilstone.

Edit to add - that's a half-round scraper. There are also flat and three-square scrapers - the flat for scraping together flat surfaces, and three-square for smaller diameter bearings. The latter are also useful for deburring holes.

Top quality stuff there - the Bahco adjustables are everlasting. I think the pair of T&G planes might be Dutch - the central half-round groove and wedge shape are distinctive. Any maker's mark on them? Maybe a crown? (And btw the groover has the blade back to front, but you knew that!)

gus3049":m02yfnqt said:
Blister":m02yfnqt said:

Hmmm,

Something I didn't know about! I don't really care about not being famous for making planes but what's with the 'son' business.

And since when did any member of my family live north of the Thames?

News to me :D

See Gordon , You learn something new every day :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheshirechappie":3trf2jjy said:
It's an Engineer's Scraper, Blister. Used for scraping bearing surfaces to fit a shaft. The usual drill is to cover the shaft with a very thin smear of marking blue, assemble to the bearing (which is usually split), revolve back and to a couple of times, then dissemble and scrape off the blued patches on the bearing. Repeat (many times) until you have the specified contact - say 75% blued contact. (This will only work if the shaft is true and well finished - you'll never fit a bearing to a worn shaft, however hard you try.)

I think that example is a fairly recent one by Eclipse. I think they're still available new from the likes of J&L Industial and Cromwell Tools. To work well, they need to be sharpened (!) on a fine Arkansas or similar oilstone.

Edit to add - that's a half-round scraper. There are also flat and three-square scrapers - the flat for scraping together flat surfaces, and three-square for smaller diameter bearings. The latter are also useful for deburring holes.

OK Thanks for the info , Its a new one on me , but I am no engineer :wink: Anyone want it for free ?

AndyT":1x9t18x2 said:
Top quality stuff there - the Bahco adjustables are everlasting. I think the pair of T&G planes might be Dutch - the central half-round groove and wedge shape are distinctive. Any maker's mark on them? Maybe a crown? (And btw the groover has the blade back to front, but you knew that!)

Andy ,
Any maker's mark on them

not that I could see without my glasses on :oops: , but will have a better look with my extra eye's :shock: ( A magnifying glass )

Back