Boot prints in Felt roof

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Setch

Established Member
Reaction score
My builder (lovely chap, careful, tidy worker etc) has just had to add a lead flashing to my extension roof, as local BC weren't satisfied with the felt flashing his roofer installed.

Unfortunately, in working on a boiling hot day, in the midday sun, he's left some pretty hefty boot prints in the felt. Apart from not looking great, I'm concerned about possible damage to the waterproof-ness of the roof.

Should I be worried? Can the felt be smooshed back into shape with a roller or something? Does it need to be replaced?

As I said earlier, he's a lovely chap, and he's been a pleasure to deal with, so I don't want to put him to more inconvenience than necessary, but I also want to ensure he hasn't inadvertently compromised the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_163137.jpg
    IMG_20200519_163137.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 424
Any reason you haven't asked the nice chap about it? If he can fix it he should unless it isn't visible from the ground or windows above and it is only cosmetic. I'd hate looking out over the roof and seeing footprints.

Pete

I might be wrong but I think gravel/grit on a felt roof is intended as a solar shield. I think I would get something similar and sprinkle on to fill the marks.

Get an off cut of the same felt, fold in half and rub together, this will strip the mineral off, catch them in something suitable, you'll obviously need enough to cover the area. I think you can even buy bags of the stuff because this happens a lot when laying felt on sunny days!

Anyway once you've got the mineral get a hot air gun and gently heat the area, once soft apply your mineral. You definitely don't want it molten!!! Or wait for a sunny day and apply it on top, you should be able to flatten it and recombine it with a J roller.

It's pretty unavoidable in this weather tbh unless your very very light on your feet.

Assuming it's a 2 or 3 layer covering, the integrity of the felt should be fine. I've got a footprint on my porch roof and workshop roof from when I did them 5 years ago. I'm not worried about either.

The mineral finish is there to help prevent the bitumen in the felt melting when sunny and to make it look nice.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks Spragnut - that's exactly what I was after, and exactly what the builder had said now I've had a chance to talk to him. He's going to get some chippings from the roofer and roll it down.

Back