boot fair shoulder plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
saw this a few weeks back in essex, a real monster and it was covered in blue japaning/paint. i didnt buy it because it looked like abit of a dog. i assume its brand new looks like something china churns out, badly machined and it had a very large mouth. i posted it up here as i have never seen one like it.

it was £12 and the seller did let me take pics.

IMAG0370.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

adidat

Hi Adidat

Interesting. It looks rather like the vintage Slater shoulder plane which I use as my avatar.

I believe some shoulder plane kits are available (or used to be) - could this have been a home made job?

Evergreen

You probably have a nice little steel infill underneath all that blue gunk....

I would have bought it and took a chance at restoring it...the iron is worth that much alone!

Try see if he has it this weekend.....

Jim

Snecked iron, wooden wedge - that doesn't look like a Chinese copy to me.

I think it's an old one, that's had an uncaring owner who painted it blue to make it look distinctive on site. I doubt it will still be there this weekend, but if it is, I'll buy it off you for £12.50 plus postage!

AndyT":33bwc8qt said:
Snecked iron, wooden wedge - that doesn't look like a Chinese copy to me.

I think it's an old one, that's had an uncaring owner who painted it blue to make it look distinctive on site. I doubt it will still be there this weekend, but if it is, I'll buy it off you for £12.50 plus postage!

Indeed...but there are two options here...either it is so badly corroded and pitted to be easily recoverable...hence the paint or...hopefully..the paint came relatively early and has inadvertently protected some pristine steel......

I would have bitten his hand off....once I had stopped sobbing!!! :mrgreen:

Go back whatever you do Chris...we just have to know!! :mrgreen:

Jim

Interesting discussion. Look closely at the front of the mouth/nose it looked like the edge was bolted on, it just looked tatty now i browse the bay and keep my fingers on the pulse when it comes to old tools so i do know abit. But the quality of this thing was awful

The wedge was made of a brown wood some sought of cheap rosewood similar to what we see on cheap wooden and metal squares made by crown tools. Now i havent ever seen a shoulder plane like this for sale as a new item, but that dosent mean its cant exsist.

Look at it this way if i had bought it, i wouldnt of had enough money to buy my brand new veritas spokeshave which i can easily sell for a large profit. And with that profit invest in a shoulder on the bay. But frankly when it comes to collecting shoulder planes have never really done anything for me. But bedrock and boxwood is a different matter.

Sorry andy and jim i wont be going back to london until november.

Adidat

I agree, it's very like one of Slater's shoulder planes, which have pretty decent Rosewood (Potentially Brazilian Rosewood) in both wedge and infill. Depending on condition beneath the paint, how it cleans up and how desirable someone finds it, it could be worth anywhere between £40 - £120 on a good day.

Can't imagine why someone would paint an infill plane blue, even if it was rusty or pitted it would still bring more unpainted not to mention paint tends to make for a sticky use on a shoulder plane. Len

AndyT":8bet1rtd said:
Snecked iron!
OK - put a newbie out of his misery :)! What is "snecked iron" - does it refer to the type of iron used in the body, or is it "iron", as in the cutter/blade? In either case, what does "snecked" mean?

Yours (in ignorance)

Chris

It refers to the little wings on the sides of the blade, the opposite end from the sharp bit.

Adidat

adidat":3ktyrt21 said:
IIRC it was made of solid metal and just the wedge and the blade.

Adidat

While the images aren't that clear, one picture still gives the impression of the outline of a timber infill on top of the plane's front bun and along it's back. This feature is present on my example of infill shoulder planes by Slater.

Latest posts

Back