boot fair review 16/10/2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
quality not quantity this week,but the bits i did get were great. hopefully i have coaxed in a new member (you know who you are)

so i don't usually buy wooden planes as i don't really see any beauty in them, but this one caught my eye as it was a very clean example and its a 22" jointer so a bloody big lump of wood.

P1010258.jpg

When i first picked it up it didnt have blade or wedge so thinking it was resigned to doorstop i asked the seller and he produced the blade and there I saw the mark and it was love at first sight. I did realise the chipbreaker was sorby but I didn't realise it had the lamb icon until I was reviewing the pics on the comp.

P1010259.jpg

I was hoping the collar matched the cuffs so a little searching and I found this.

P1010260.jpg

A little google and i found this page out of the edward preston 1901 catalogue, i beleive its the same plane. I was quite surprised as i didnt realise preston made woodies.

EdwardPrestonAndSons1901Catalog3-Big.jpg

A vaughan & Bushnell no.905 the poors mans bedrock this needs a little love, more to come on this later.

P1010256.jpg

I can't work out what the original colour is, as its been painted red at some point. Under neath is a battle ship grey which i have read about on the net. But the frog is painted black??? :duno:

P1010257.jpg

And my buy of the day a rosewood knob for my 604 so pleased. Someone very kindley bought a huge tray of knobs and totes for me to look through.

P1010261.jpg

Ah thats better!

P1010263.jpg

And lastly a burr elm letter holder perfect for in laying some burr for 50p I couldn't resist.

P1010267.jpg

P1010268.jpg

Enjoy

adidat

Hi Chris

The Saturday bootfair site down in the tropics had a big sign "See you next year"..... :cry:

And I had to work this morning....Formula Ford at Brands so really busy... :cry:

That woody is seriously nice...a Preston too! This is becoming a common theme with you Chris...being stuck in a Preston groove is one of the better problems to have... :mrgreen:

The 905 is also pretty cool...I have seen these on FleaBay but not in the flesh....

Overall...a great haul...and building a 604 in stages via a bootfair is also pretty cool....

I will have to see if I can go to the Sunday one next week...I am beginning to go into a depression! :mrgreen:

Jim

That's a good haul, no sign of jealousy here either :wink: In my neck of the woods most tools aren't even worth a second look, but I live in hope of that once in a lifetime great find.....

Steve

Nice haul!
Would this sale be in a bit of sunny Somerset that's near Bristol by any chance? I'm hoping it's not a total secret!

Snap - well almost. This one is the same size, 22" but the only maker's name and mark is as on the photo of the front end and those on the irons.

master.jpg

masterfront.jpg

masteriron.jpg

masteriron2.jpg

jimi43":3usq5j5j said:
That woody is seriously nice...a Preston too! This is becoming a common theme with you Chris...being stuck in a Preston groove is one of the better problems to have... :mrgreen:

yep the fantastic rays also drew me in, i spoke to someone at brizzol design yesterday and by the sounds of it they have lots more EP stuff

The 905 is also pretty cool...I have seen these on FleaBay but not in the flesh....

i was talking to someone at the bootfair who sells some nice tools about bedrocks and he saved me it because it had the flat sides and the bedrock-ish frog.

Overall...a great haul...and building a 604 in stages via a bootfair is also pretty cool....

i have the whole plane just not in that picture, its just when i first dismantled it the front knob base just crumbled into pieces so i have bee trying to find one for some time, i received a set of LN cherry handles from festool fishy but they didnt fit, i even considered having one made for me but it was quite pricey and i would have to supply my own rosewood. so when i saw this one for a quid i couldn't say no, not sure if its original stanley but its quite a good fit.

I will have to see if I can go to the Sunday one next week...I am beginning to go into a depression! :mrgreen:
Jim

yes jim you have been rather letting the kent side down!

AndyT":3usq5j5j said:
Nice haul!
Would this sale be in a bit of sunny Somerset that's near Bristol by any chance? I'm hoping it's not a total secret!

yes andy i will let you in on the secret, in exchange can you tell me what the maker in your avatar is holding its puzzled me for years.

51.041189, -3.059045

if you do make it up this way, there is something i need picking up from Romney avenue Bristol.

adidat

RogerP":3ctzkt7u said:
Snap - well almost. This one is the same size, 22" but the only maker's name and mark is as on the photo of the front end and those on the irons.

masterfront.jpg

very nice roger, was that today's find. property of the Air Ministry by the look of it, abit like my turnscrew

P1010149.jpg

P1010151.jpg

maybe my driver was used to adjust your plane??? :duno:

adidat

Nice plane - I might have some makers marks I'll be asking you guys about soon due to my purchases today.
I also brought wooden planes today. Although I might have been a little rash and brought 28 moulding planes. Quite difficult to sneak past the wife! also a hand powered grinder for £10. Quite pleased with myself really.
I keep telling my wife every week it will be the last 'boot of the season and they keep carrying on! I'm loving this indian summer.

Kev im sorry but i just can not believe you, but..... If you had some pictures that would be a different matter :lol:

Sounds like you well

Adidat

Here's the evidence. The planes cost me about £40 in total and the grinder £10 (the little hammer I liked as it had little wings fixing it to the shaft and was only 50p).
P1070894.JPG

P1070900.JPG

P1070903.JPG

P1070924.JPG

Just got to build some shelves to put them all on now!
Going to take me a while to get them all sharpened and into working order.

Attachments

• P1070894.JPG
    P1070894.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 828
  • P1070900.JPG
    P1070900.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 827
  • P1070903.JPG
    P1070903.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 842
  • P1070924.JPG
    P1070924.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 826
In defiance of the forecast, it was fine in Aberdeen this weekend. In consequence, the Thainstone carboot had about the biggest turnout of the year, but as usual nothing nice and "woody". Still, £40 for a working 24v Bosch SDS drill plus more bits than I'll ever need and £2 for a tin of useable BA taps and dies kept me happy :D

Back