boot fair goodies 9/10/11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
hi back to my normal hunting ground this sunday i was there before the sellers so i had the odd feeling of rummaging in strangers car boots. anyway enough rambling to the tools!!! (hammer)

so starting us off a nice tyzack and sons saw the handle as been snapped in the past but a surprisingly strong repair has been made with just one screw.
P1010224.jpg

dose the 1918 actually mean when the saw was made, would that explain the steel spine, because the countries brass supply was scattered in the fields of France and Belgium? :duno:
P1010225.jpg

a lovely morills saw set there seems to be about 6 different markings on this, lovely
P1010233.jpg

P1010234.jpg

a pair of tool makers clamps may come in handy when it comes to santa time
P1010231.jpg

i think this is a Babbitt scraper
P1010228.jpg

abit worn down i think?
P1010229.jpg

a hammer thing, only really bought this to help out a friendly seller who i see most weeks who was being pestered to sell a huge bunch of tools for 3quid so i scooped it up out of there and gave him a quid, they didnt argue with me as they didnt speak much english :lol:
P1010230.jpg

i think this is a handmade screwdriver/persuader its got a big lump of scored ally for a handle but its been quite beaten, needs a regrind but the shaft is bent so not sure i can do much for this patient.
P1010232.jpg

a quite well 'used' push stick but its a real comfatable hold on it so i may knock up a sacrifial/replaceable end. best thing was it was FREEEEEEE!! :mrgreen:
P1010226.jpg

a nice roll of wipers
P1010223.jpg

and what i think is a lunch break casting as its made of bronze or brass nice little router plane.
P1010235.jpg

thats all folks, enjoy

wheres jim then?

adidat

It look like the clamps have been tightened with pliers or mole grips by some heathen - a bit ropy.

The routers looks nice though - how big is it?

BugBear

Nice collection of stuff there, especially the saw set; I could see them becoming my next slope, such a wide variety of different designs for doing the same job. I guess that's hand tools all over, though.

Car boot sales have stopped up here now for the winter, so you're lucky to be in more tropical climes!

Good little haul there Chris...I particularly like the little bronze router and I think that should be brought back to its former glory....

I saw one by Preston the other week on FleaBay....but it had been quite destroyed by the original owner drilling all over the faceplate.

There was also a huge bronze one with no paint that was worth a punt just for the metal but it went for silly money so I left it! Great find at a bootfair though!

I had a very meagre weekend....partly because of the initial tropical storm that hit us...part of the problem of being in the tropics now I guess...and for the most part as a result of hundreds of lunatics on Fireblades et al...whizzing all over the countryside for the British Superbikes which meant my favourite one was postponed for this weekend....oh...and I was working! :roll:

So just a few bits picked up when the sun came out again....

DSC_0054.JPG

I am really made up with the book...it is a very...and I mean very detailed course on building...which should take up most of the winter nights and reduce some of my SAD until the Spring.

The chuck key has been "adapted" to fit my ML1 chuck and the file has a beautiful handle...couldn't resist at 20p for each.....and this....from last week which I thought I would show....

DSC_0055.JPG

...purely because I thought it was a superb lathe mask....but more than likely it is for attacking Klingons with paintballs....nevertheless...it should come in handy...and for 50p....mmmm and that's it....oh and another £80 from Annie for the milling machine fund....a result of selling more clothes...most of which appeared retro to me they have been in the loft for so long!

Anyone else have a sale near them this weekend?

Jim

adidat":377fhcbx said:
very nice jim, whats the blank? box?

adidat

It's very similar isn't it Chris...but no...it's olive wood from Corfu....

DSC_0002.JPG

My daughter just came back from a holiday there and knowing of my love of beautiful and exotic woods...what better a present than a lump of the most common tree on the island...the olive tree.

DSC_0003.JPG

She is a very smart kid and knew that I would use the finished piece as a photo background....and would then spend the rest of the year wondering whether I could pluck up enough courage to cut it to pieces for some project....so she planned for that as well....

DSC_0004.JPG

I think this is probably the best "holiday present"...I have ever had...and certainly knocks spots off the usual "I (heart) Corfu" T shirt of more aftershave from duty free.....a really thoughtful and wonderful present indeed....

Jim

Lovely backsaw, I have a soft spot for Tyzacks. Great tool makers' clamps too, I use my apprenticeship-made clamp all the time.

Nothing for us this week, our local was cancelled due to the rain. Last week however I picked up a very flexible 9" rule ("Practical Householder") for 50p, and The Drawing Office Handbook for £1

:)

Nice saw - I've been looking out for a dovetail saw to restore and maybe some old panel saws to use on site but I already get enough stick!
Quite a quiet carboot for me this weekend but I did buy a metal log splitting wedge for a couple of quid as well as this nice 1/8 side beading plane that cuts a bead as sweet as anything - a few more of these and I could chuck away my routers!
As the car boot I go to is on tarmac I hope it carrys on for a bit longer yet (Sunday morning I could hear my wife telling me I'm mad from under the sheets!)
P1070859.JPG
P1070866.JPG

Attachments

• P1070859.JPG
    P1070859.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • P1070866.JPG
    P1070866.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 1,192
bugbear":1ypfjv8g said:
It look like the clamps have been tightened with pliers or mole grips by some heathen - a bit ropy.

lucky i got access to a lathe and knurling tool i could redo them but i dont think it needs it, i used the pair today.

bugbear":1ypfjv8g said:
The routers looks nice though - how big is it?

the router 56.5mm wide and the O/A length is 126mm the heighist point off a flat surface is 20mm and here is the restoration thread

edward-preston-1397p-recast-restoration

adidat

Back