Boosting weak mobile telephone signal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I live in a rural area with very weak mobile signal, so I don't make much use of the technology. However it now seems that banks are adding mobile texts as an extra level of security, and so I am going to have to get this sorted. Our bank did say we could still use our local high street branch ( yeah, right. Nearest is a 40 mile round trip).

Has anyone tried using signal boosters? I am looking for recommendations for make, model etc, in fact any information would be helpful. I tried my telephone yesterday - no signal. Today I am getting one bar, occasionally two bars, but it's not reliable.

K

Ask/complain to your mobile provider. My neighbours are on Vodafone which is rubbish here and complained - they were sent a booster which uses their internet line.

I never heard of such a thing so I searched and found here they start at $550can to $1,300can for one. The coverage is good for one or two rooms for the cheaper to whole house for the spendy ones. They are sold by the electronic stores or the cell provider stores but not given to you by the provider. They would never make their money back so why would they. You might see if there are other providers you can use that have better coverage or at least a clear signal to your house from their tower. Check with your neighbours to see who they use and see if their phones get better signals at your place. We are rural and the signal can be week at times especially in snowstorms, same as the internet so I feel for you.

Pete

I am with Three and they provide a function that allows you to use your internet wi-fi. I believe that other providers do the same

Ask your provider for a femtocell. Vodafone call it a Sure Signal. They connect to your broadband and route the signal from your handset via this box which is essentially a small mobile access point through your broadband.
If you have a newish phone that supports WiFi calling you won't need the box but your handset, provider and tarrif will need to support it.
Most of the devices called signal boosters are illegal to use in the UK (depending on exactly what they do).

I looked into this about two years ago & unless the legislation has changed only the service provider is licensed to broadcast a mobile signal so boosters must be provided by them to be used under their license. The penalties for non compliance are massive.

graduate_owner":2f3v9bt0 said:
Hi all,
I live in a rural area with very weak mobile signal, so I don't make much use of the technology. However it now seems that banks are adding mobile texts as an extra level of security, and so I am going to have to get this sorted. Our bank did say we could still use our local high street branch ( yeah, right. Nearest is a 40 mile round trip).

Has anyone tried using signal boosters? I am looking for recommendations for make, model etc, in fact any information would be helpful. I tried my telephone yesterday - no signal. Today I am getting one bar, occasionally two bars, but it's not reliable.

K

Double-check that your bank doesn't offer an alternative mechanism via landline and/or have deferred implementing it.

I flagged this issue up about two or three years ago as I foresaw the difficulties you (and others) are facing. People were very slow to pick up on this but now there seems to be a bit of a groundswell against it and so some organisations are offering alternatives to a mobile.

As others have said, some mobile providers either provide a box to boost the mobile signal or allow wi-fi calling via the internet.

RichardG":2thoyzf9 said:
The rules changed last year to make it legal providing the equipment meets certain transmission power limits.

mobile-phone-repeaters

Thanks Richard.
Still a lot to be wary of :

Static indoor repeaters
Must be used indoors
Only one network at a time

Low gain in-vehicle repeaters
Road vehicles only, not boats or static caravans

"Watch out for repeaters that claim to be wideband, or those which amplify signals from more than one operator at a time. Repeaters that operate in this way do not comply with our requirements and using them continues to be unlawful.

Indoor repeaters that claim to be 4G and/or LTE only (or 800 MHz only) are also unlikely to meet our requirements. Legal indoor repeaters must boost a 2G or 3G signal at all times."

Penalties for non-compliance include fines & equipment confiscation. For serious or subsequent offences the fine is £5000 &/or a year in prison.

I know this is a little off the mark re the OP's question but somewhat relevant I believe. My bank (Halifax) have told me that in the near future they will introduce One Time Passcodes whenever the card is used. I can see a problem when using a card in a rural area if this is put into action. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1mogwh6i said:
I know this is a little off the mark re the OP's question but somewhat relevant I believe. My bank (Halifax) have told me that in the near future they will introduce One Time Passcodes whenever the card is used. I can see a problem when using a card in a rural area if this is put into action. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

regards

Brian

My understanding is that Halifax (like Lloyds) will offer you the choice of using the landline.

What the others said, first call should be to your provider.

I'm with O2 and signal inside the house is 0 -1 bar, so I complained using the usual threat that I'd move to a different supplier and they sent me a booster which gives 4 - 5 bars, used it a couple of years now with no issues.

It has to be plugged into your broadband router though.

Back