Books.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes - or at least until I had read them all. And the TV series.
I'm just reading a Susanna Gregory Chaloner story at the moment - have you tried any of those?
She also wrote a series set in 14th Century Cambridge - have you seen them? They're good, but not the breadth of Ellis Peters.

Don't get me started on the Roman crime stories! I love 'em!

Why do you ask Roy?

To be frank, simply to find out who reads what and what else I might read. I'm also a great fan of the Clan of the Cave Bear series, and everything that Bernard Cornwell has written.

Roy.

Anybody familiar with Arkady Renko?

Digit":38hpqdtp said:
Why do you ask Roy?

To be frank, simply to find out who reads what and what else I might read. I'm also a great fan of the Clan of the Cave Bear series, and everything that Bernard Cornwell has written.

Roy.

Sorry can't help there Roy, SWMBO watches them on the box.

Bob

Digit":1o0p4uze said:
Not me. Expand.

Roy.

Martin Cruz Smith, Renko is a prosecutor's detective in Moscow. Superb books and a great insight into Russian society.
Gorky Park was the first in the series.

Often not the best idea though Bob, TV destroys your own personal vision that a writer creates within you.
Though a book of its time, Day of the Triffids is an example of how a film will sometimes wander from what the writer created IMO.

Roy.

Didn't Smith write about a Vatican detective some years ago?

Roy.

I liked Gorky Park - both book and film.

If you want suggestions:

Susanna Gregory - Matthew Bartholomew series (14th Century Cambridge), Thomas Chaloner series (1660s London).
Bernard Knight - Crowner John series (set in 12th Century Exeter)

Earlier -
Lindsay Davies - Falco series (AD70 Rome) (the best)
Rosemary Rowe - Libertus Mysteries (4th Century Roman Britain)
Steven Saylor - Gordianus the Finder - Roman - very historical
David Wishart - Marcus Corvinus series - Roman - humorous (good)

I've read just about all of them (still on the lookout for a couple of Chaloner stories) and would recommend them all, with perhaps the exception of Rosemary Rowe, which is probably an acquired taste that I haven't.

Smudger, did you read the subsequent books? Polar Star, Red Square, Havanna Bay etc?

Smudger":2lya8lza said:
I like Bernard Cornwall, but I don't like Sharpe. Does that make sense?

yep though i like sharpe, the athurian, and the saxon ones (and gallows theif, azincourt, and stonehenge) - but i dont get on with the nanthiel starbuck ones or the grail quest.

anyone read the simon scarrow "eagle" series ?

Speaking of Sharp(e) used to love the Tom Sharp books. Superb.

I'm feeling deprived, or is that depraved, I haven't heard of any of these writers.

Roy.

Back