Books on Shooting Boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
All

I have been reading al the posts on the above subject, although the information is very useful I'm finding some of the plans a bit difficult to construct from.

So is there a book/Video/idiots guide or such like availble?

Waka

Waka,

The absolute simplest and clearest drawing I could find from "The Junior Woodworker":
simpleboard.JPG

The only really unclear bit is the stop; the think the measurement for the end farthest from the action should probably be something like 1" to make the taper. Don't sweat it though. One of my boards simply has a stop bolted on, the other is very like the bench hook also shown here, with a simple screwed-on stop. If it works, it's right. :D I also scanned the two pics of using a shooting board while I was at it; it also gives a couple of other views of construction.
longgrain.JPG

endgrain.JPG

Hope that helps a bit. The key is to start by keeping it simple; don't worry about the fancy ones to start with.

Cheers, Alf

The thing I've never understood about shooting boards is, what's to stop you from just planing the narrower piece that the plane runs along?

Mark.

The narrow bit is below the edge of the plane iron - its just the sole that contacts this bit.

athough if the step is wider than the distance from the side of the plane and the edge of the iron, it'll plane a little step until the sole rubs up to it and no more.

Martyn,

Good try and undoubtedly quite true but then it's only the girls that think so :lol:

However, "to state the bleeding obvious" is closer to the mark!

Back