Books on plane making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pea

Established Member
Reaction score
I can addJohn Whelan's book, Making Traditional Wooden Planes.
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/36933710
This was published by Astragal Press in 1996. I think I bought my copy from Classic Hand Tools, but they don't list it and there's a dead link on the publisher's site, so it will probably be hard to find at a sensible price. (His bigger reference book on planes got republished though.)

I used it when making a wooden bullnose plane, one of only two planes I have attempted. It covers the full range of western style mortised planes and seems to be pretty well detailed as far as I can tell. Later chapters cover moulding planes, ploughs and fillisters. I reckon if you have got that far you will know what you are doing!

I also seem to have acquired a copy of Fifty Years A Planemaker and User by Cecil E. Pierce, also published by Astragal and still listed on their site - http://www.chesterbookco.com/fifty_years_planemaker.htm.

It's chatty but also brief; the main plane making bit could have fitted in a magazine article. However, I imagine that having a set of diagrams with all the right dimensions and angles could be a good starting point for anyone not copying an old plane.

These books don't count as new, of course. I think all the new content has appeared as blog posts, forum threads and YouTube videos.

you can pre-order the 'making and mastering wood planes' from classic hand tools in the UK Cheshirechappie, it's not cheap but I put my order in so will let people know what I think as soon as it arrives, pretty sure it's going to be good though, we'll see.

Making and mastering wood planes David Finck ISBN 1402722022-x

Pete

IMG_5326C.jpg
Robert Wearing wrote articles an plane making in The Woodworker magazine in 1961. I think this subject may have been covered in one or more of his books but I am not certain of this. The 1961 articles covered making a jack plane, smoothing plane and scraper plane. They are of "sandwich" construction.

Attachments

• IMG_5326C.jpg
    IMG_5326C.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 486
Haven't seen a mention of a book called Making traditional wooden planes by John M. Whelan.
I seen it in the start of this video, Stravos Gakos is making quite a few planes.
Apologies Mr_Pea, if I'm derailing your thread slightly.
I too was trawling the interweb for some of Ian's work, but to no avail.
Here's Stravos in action
[youtube]uJfTd_dJ3gg&t=1s[/youtube]
Video embedding won't work for this one, here's a link instead...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJfTd_dJ3gg&t=1s

Bill Carter's youtube channel is the best if you want specific detail on the making of an English mitre plane.

The wood man Dan has made one following most of Bill Carters techniques
[youtube]eqrZ54j7x-s[/youtube]

David Weaver has made some nice planes of wood and metal, and would be what I'd follow if making a traditional jack or try plane.
[youtube]QaaYobORdA0[/youtube]

Tom

Back