BOOKS ON HISTORICAL FRAMING/ CARPENTRY IDEAS PLEASE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertjames

Reaction score
I'm collecting books on timber framing and historical carpentry as well as the best of books showing step by step tutorials on traditional framing/ joints
Can any one help me with finding or know of some of the best ones,
These are some I have already

The Village Carpenter: The Classic Memoir of the Life of a Victorian Craftsman

English Historic Carpentry by Cecil.A. Hewett

Timber-framed Buildings by Richard Harris

Welcome to the forum. You're just down the road from me.

You've got the best two books already, (Hewitt and Harris), and the Village Carpenter is a great read and a nice social history document. The Harris book can be sniffed at by some because of its format, but it is a truly excellent little book, and Cecil Hewitt's book is a masterpiece. The bible of English oak framing. The couple of pages on scarf joints is enough to may you weep with joy. There's nothing else I know of which will get anywhere near those, so I suggest you read them over again!

Edit......

If you are into American timber framing there is a nice book called "An Age of Barns" by Eric Sloane. Worth getting hold of if you can find it. It focuses on agricultural outbuildings rather than houses, but the framing follows the same principles.

I've got another one for you: Timber Framed Buildings Explained by Trevor Yorke. I don't think it tells you much that the others don't cover, but it's a nice little book. It's quite strong on trends and changes through time.

George Ellis wrote several books for the wood trades, around the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. 'Modern Practical Joinery' is fairly well known, has been reprinted by Stobart Davies, and may still be available new. 'Modern Practical Stairbuilding and Handrailing' was also reprinted, also by Stobart Davies. 'Modern Practical Carpentry' however, is probably only available in its original printings.

There are about 30 timber framing books currently available, including a couple on weald and downland farm buildings. The guys above have covered the best ones.

This is a big interest of mine, and beyond reading, one of the best things you can do is go to the Weald and Downland museum down near Goodwood. You can easily spend a day or two there looking in detail at a range of different buildings and framing techniques. Highly recommended.

To understand ancient framing, it is also worth examining some of the old techniques and tools for splitting and shaping timber, usually oak.

AJB Temple":19l7ofjl said:
.............This is a big interest of mine, and beyond reading, one of the best things you can do is go to the Weald and Downland museum down near Goodwood. You can easily spend a day or two there looking in detail at a range of different buildings and framing techniques. Highly recommended..........

100% It's a fantastic place. It's a couple of hours drive for me, but well worth it every few years.

You should also check out "Recording Timber Framed Buildings": "https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recording-Timber-Framed-Buildings-Illustrated-Practical/dp/1872414729

This is more definitive and widely accepted in terms of terminology than English Historic Carpentry.

Rupert Newman's book "Oak Framed Buildings" is also very good a very good introduction to timber framing in the UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oak-Framed-Bui ... 1861087268

Back