bookmatched or slip matched

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm veneering the door to our fridge as a sample to see what veneer to use. I have opted for european figured walnut but i still want something different so i may slipmatch the veneers as apposed to the standard bookmatched. The grain direct is going to be vertical unless i can source the lengths required to go horizontal

Any views on this

Andy

I think that's really a general question about something that will depend greatly on the grain of each specific piece of veneer and how they are juxtaposed. As a general rule, I would have thought book matching suits highly figured wood better, as the join is going to jar more if slipmatched than it would with with a simpler grain. But as I say, I think really it will depend on the relationship between each individual piece of veneer. I do think it will be harder to pull this off than if bookmatched, though.

I agree.

One trick I have employed on a number of pieces is to do both. That is to say, the left half of the piece is slipmatched showing the open side, and the other half is slipmatched showing the closed side, the two halves making a bookmatch overall.

S

Latest posts

Back