Bookcase Rail

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me. I have been asked to quote for a bookcase style that is pictured in the images below. What I am after is the the satin chrome rail the ladder is hooked over that runs along the width of the bookcase.

I have already been turned down by my ironmongery supplier who has literally said for liability reasons he wouldn't be able to sell or source a rail like this to achieve this purpose. This has chucked a spanner in the works and has made me doubt even suggesting the rail to my customer so they can reach higher levels.

Regards

Nick

Attachments

• edited.jpg
    edited.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 213
It looks like you have to buy the complete kit, which is super expensive, but they come under the search term 'Rolling Library Ladder'.

http://www.ladderstore.com/rolling-ladders.html

I assume you can't just use a wooden dowel (hand rail?) with some hooks over the end of the ladder? would be a whole lot cheaper. But I guess there would be liability issues for you then :(

Edit : you can select 'No Ladder'. Still crazy expensive though.

TBH that sounds like a CBA (can't be *rsed) quote from your regular supplier; Ironmongery Direct do an 'Easirail' handrail system, or a modular balustrade system in stainless that might be adaptable?

You'd probably have to source your own hooks for the ladder, but not beyond the wit of man, I'd imagine.

HTH Pete

Rather than an Ironmongers have you tried a local frame welders/fabricators yard. Something like that should be fairly cheap and easy to knock up in something like 304 stainless.

marcros":myn0rsry said:
i dont have any knowledge, but found this on google https://www.andrewnebbettdesigns.co.uk/library-ladders/

it looks like a decoratively finished handrail of some form- presumably an industrial type.

Perfect - These are local to me as well.

Just sending some dimensions over now. They supply bespoke rails. Hopefully the price doesn't flatten me lol. :D

Hello,

I would buy a proprietary kit that does what you need, or not suggest it to the client. If you make up the rail, source hooks and build or source a ladder and devise your own, then make sure your product liability insurance is cast iron and worth a couple of million. If anyone has an accident and you have built your own contraption, you might even be prosecuted. You simply cannot test you product to the extent a large manufacturer can nor know all the legal and structural requirements needed for that. Unless you want a huge research and development project before you start, I would avoid. A proprietary kit will have another party to blame if someone falls, provided you install correctly.

Mike.

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be comfortable. I do have product liability in place. I didn't suggest it to the customer anyway, it was a Neville Johnson design to be copied.

woodbrains":grsur26a said:
Hello,

I would buy a proprietary kit that does what you need, or not suggest it to the client. If you make up the rail, source hooks and build or source a ladder and devise your own, then make sure your product liability insurance is cast iron and worth a couple of million. If anyone has an accident and you have built your own contraption, you might even be prosecuted. You simply cannot test you product to the extent a large manufacturer can nor know all the legal and structural requirements needed for that. Unless you want a huge research and development project before you start, I would avoid. A proprietary kit will have another party to blame if someone falls, provided you install correctly.

Mike.

+1

custard":3473jwgz said:
woodbrains":3473jwgz said:
Hello,

Mike.

+1

Well the price of the rail was OK not cheap but looks quality but I was taken back by the cost of the ladder to be made in Sapele from the people in the link mentioned above. £1850 + vat.... Ouch

Hello,

That price might sound steep (see what I did there) but they have done the R and D and obviously take the insurance out for their product. It has to be accounted for somewhere. I'm not saying it is worth that much but bespoke items often are. It just makes me think that perhaps you are not quoting high enough for your part of the bookcase build. I often had people come to me with n idea for furniture and clearly gone to another maker for a quote. Clearly not liking what Neville Johnson et had to say they'd come to me expecting the same for 1/4 the cost.

I would quote for the job with and without the ladder rail and let the customer decide, I'd not worry about it sounding too high. It is what it is.

Mike.

Latest posts

Back