• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Book selling best outlet suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Sgian Dubh

Established Member
Reaction score
No but I can knock you up a copy in no time! Hmm, food for thought there. :unsure: A ten volume series on modern sharpening?
Love the idea - go for it. Can you restrict each volume to just one side of A6 please or, better still, to just one side of A7? Slainte.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Love the idea - go for it. Can you restrict each volume to just one side of A6 please or, better still, to just one side of A7? Slainte.
Hmm dunno perhaps 2 sides of A7. "Rub your blade up and down a stone fast and furiously at about 30º. Turn over and take off the burr" then a few notes on the other side. Perhaps a drawing of a 30º angle - I know a lot of people struggle with it. Could be a hit!

Last edited:

Terry - Somerset

Established Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I cleared my departed parents flat of books accumulated over 40-50 years.

In town there was a "proper" bookseller of reasonable longstanding repute. Load up BiLs Volvo Estate with a dozen boxes - they expressed interest in a handful - the rest were of no interest.

A similar experience with a collection of 35mm cameras my father had accumulated. Took the lot down to the local (decent) auction house for a valuation. Not really worth selling unless you had some very premium mint brands (he didn't).

Selling a book collection, however much it may seem of value to you, is likely to be lots of effort for very little reward. Regard it as a hobby, not a way to get rich quick (or even slowly!)

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
I would suggest listing books of a particular topic on a relevent forums like this one.

General knowledge, DIY, cooking etc or pop fiction books are near enough worthless tbh.

Cheers James

Keith Cocker

Established Member
Reaction score
Going in to a 2nd hand bookshop is still a treat though. You never know what you'll find.
if you can find a second hand bookshop that in itself is a treat!!!! 20 or so years ago I could set out from home and drive 20 miles and en route call at 5 good 2nd hand bookshops and come home with a good pile of excellent stuff. Now there is one left.

Rorschach

Reaction score
I like browsing in bookstores but don't buy now as we don't have the space. I just make a note and then get the eBook version. Shame for the bookshop of course but needs must.

danst96

Established Member
Reaction score
Google and other search engines
Building a website that is promoted to the early pages of Google takes serious knowledge of SEO which In turn takes years to gain credibility. Alternative is to gouge money into Google ads which does not garuantee any return on investment and cost would likely outweigh sales.

Speaking from experience, generating traffic to a website is extremely difficult. What about etsy?

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Any books on clock repairing?
Particularly 400 day clocks.

Bod

Latest posts