Book recommendation: Thanks A Lot, Mr Kibblewhite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The title of the thread is the title of Roger Daltrey's autobiography. I was never particularly a fan of The Who although I tend to think that Won't Get Fooled Again may be the best rock song ever written. I did however always think that Roger Daltrey seemed to be a down to earth sort of chap who is a good egg. Then I chanced upon this interview of him publicising his book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YUGCMklTY

So on the strength of that, I ordered it and I found it a delight to read, very funny and occasionally moving. What's odd about it is that he may be the only musician who came to prominence in the 60s who basically didn't touch drugs and so he never lost touch with the real world. If you're a Who fan or like me just thought they were OK, I'd put this on your Christmas present wish list. On the strength of the book I bought the CD of Quadrophenia which went right over my head when I heard it for the first time as a 15 year old. Now I get it and appreciate it and the musicianship on it is outstanding.

Andy Kev.":30l57l5s said:
The title of the thread is the title of Roger Daltrey's autobiography. I was never particularly a fan of The Who although I tend to think that Won't Get Fooled Again may be the best rock song ever written. I did however always think that Roger Daltrey seemed to be a down to earth sort of chap who is a good egg. Then I chanced upon this interview of him publicising his book:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-YUGCMklTY

So on the strength of that, I ordered it and I found it a delight to read, very funny and occasionally moving. What's odd about it is that he may be the only musician who came to prominence in the 60s who basically didn't touch drugs and so he never lost touch with the real world. If you're a Who fan or like me just thought they were OK, I'd put this on your Christmas present wish list. On the strength of the book I bought the CD of Quadrophenia which went right over my head when I heard it for the first time as a 15 year old. Now I get it and appreciate it and the musicianship on it is outstanding.

Being a one-time bass player, I always had more time for John Entwhisle - the others were all mad, angry, depressed or all three. Here's my favourite Who ditty:
[youtube]H2h1MY70uag[/youtube]

John Entwistle was an excellent bass player. In fact I can't think of any of his contemporaries who were better. I really liked Keith Moon's drumming though and of course Daltrey was a tip top singer.

When the Who played Charlton Athletic (stadium) in the 1970s, the event held the record for the loudest gig ever, for a short while. I think they surpassed it in America, but anyway...

There was a story, which deserves to be true (but probably isn't), that a startled pigeon flew across the front of Entwhistle's stacks... and disintegrated.

I watched it on TV at the time, and when I joined the audio side of the Beeb in Bristol a year or so later, I was surprised to find out that our outside broadcast team had covered it. They were still talking about it.

Latest posts

Back