Book on vices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vono

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I've done searches on various sites but can anyone tell me is there a book containing information/history about Bench/engineering vices ? I know there's a wealth of info' on here etc but i do like to read a book.

Bearing in mind I did find a book about adjustable spanners recently I just wondered if there was something similar out there about vices.

Cheers :)

Speaking as someone who has a copy of Mr Geesin's excellent book, as far as I know there is no equivalent publication on vices. It's not really surprising - the world of old tools is huge and the research can be difficult.

I think you already know the excellent work by @nabs on the quick release vice, which also features on his blog.

That could be one chapter of a book if he wanted it to be!

As Andy says, any specific publications are likely to be thin on the ground to date.
Not sure if you are a user of instagram but this chap in Texas is nuts on all heavy iron and often mentions vices and if perchance you like a bit of Anvil action, strap yourself in.....
There is deffo a book on Anvils and he bought from the author every one featured in it
Cheers Andy
Screenshot_2020-10-04-21-47-57.png

me too -'I do like to read a book'

soooo -- There's a project for you Vono - plenty of expertise here and on USA garage journal and UK migwelding and I totally agree with Andys above, nabs smallworkshop.co.uk has a great timeline on QR wood vices

with present printondemand it's easy to update a book as more info comes in - I'll put in my pre-order now for ed 1 of 'English Bench Vices - a history' by Vono,

me too -'I do like to read a book'

soooo -- There's a project for you Vono - plenty of expertise here and on USA garage journal and UK migwelding and I totally agree with Andys above, nabs smallworkshop.co.uk has a great timeline on QR wood vices

with present printondemand it's easy to update a book as more info comes in - I'll put in my pre-order now for ed 1 of 'English Bench Vices - a history' by Vono,

Hello dannyr, I recognise that name, I didn't know you were on here too :) !
Well it's certainly a thought, I must admit ! Judging by all the posts from Vice/Vise owners I might have a best seller on my hands :LOL:

Speaking as someone who has a copy of Mr Geesin's excellent book, as far as I know there is no equivalent publication on vices. It's not really surprising - the world of old tools is huge and the research can be difficult.

I think you already know the excellent work by @nabs on the quick release vice, which also features on his blog.

That could be one chapter of a book if he wanted it to be!

Hello
I didn't know about that QR vice work by nabs, it looks brilliant, I will be reading that, thanks very much (y)

Back