Book on timber framed houses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valhalla

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a book about the construction and/or repair of timber framed houses and the methodologies and materials used? Ideally (but not absolutely necessary) it would cover both historical and more recent methods and materials.

Cheers

Hi Valhalla a book i found very informative when researching Tudor timber buildings although not modern builds was TIMBER BUILDINGS IN BRITAIN by R W Brunskill ISBN 0-575-03379-7 Gollancz . Might be what you are looking for all joints are shown and terminology printed in 1985

Look at the books written by Ted Benson in the US. They were written in the 80s and 90s and published by Taunton Press. I'd get you the titles but my library is packed while I complete the basement.

Pete

For a start...
Harris

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timber-framed-Buildings-Discovering-S/dp/0747802157
Then...

Yeomans

https://www.ribabooks.com/Repair-of-Historic-Timber-Structures_9780727764386
Last but not least....

Ridout

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/timber-decay-treatment/
You'll need that one to determine your decay organisms.

You're about to enter a maze of conflicting advice and opinions................good luck !

Brunskill is good, so get that too.
Don't I know it - and I don't even own the house yet

I've come across this guy - Peter Ward - his videos are the stuff of nightmares....

Just take a deep breath and dive in....You never know, you might end up taking an MSc. at the Weald and Downland Museum.

https://www.wealddown.co.uk/courses/msc-degrees/
Maybe - who knows - you can never say never.......

I have a question Adam: If you had a listed building survey carried out on a property, would you expect an
in-depth report on the state of the structural timbers e.g whether there was rot particularly at the joints or where the infill panels meet the timber?

No probably not. You'd need to hire someone independently to survey your timber, as it can be a lengthy process and require some digging to get to the joints, which the owners may not agree to.

The infill panels are easy to check from the outside with an awl. If the bricks are bedded in lime mortar and the infill panels lime washed, there shouldn't be much decay in that particular area, It's really the timber that is in contact with the plinth, at the eaves and the west and east facing gables that you want to pay attention to.

No probably not. You'd need to hire someone independently to survey your timber, as it can be a lengthy process and require some digging to get to the joints, which the owners may not agree to.

The infill panels are easy to check from the outside with an awl. If the bricks are bedded in lime mortar and the infill panels lime washed, there shouldn't be much decay in that particular area, It's really the timber that is in contact with the plinth, at the eaves and the west and east facing gables that you want to pay attention to.
So basically I've got to buy it and then make sure I've got plenty of clean underwear when the timber surveyor produces a report.....

You're welcome.

As long as you approach the purchase with the view that it may be a complete basket case once you start looking hard at it, you'll be OK.

There is so much you will learn just by working on a timber frame building, books are useful but not necessarily relative to the case in hand, in my experience surveys aren't that good at discovery, and generally only report on what is clearly evident, are non intrusive and come with lots of caveats.

I went to a job a few years ago , client was actually a RICS surveyor and had bought a Grade 2 Manor house, turns out it had DWB along with a host of other issues to be resolved, he hadnt picked up on any of them, however as @Adam W. outlined :
purchase with the view that it may be a complete basket case once you start looking hard at it, you'll be OK.

Hi Valhalla a book i found very informative when researching Tudor timber buildings although not modern builds was TIMBER BUILDINGS IN BRITAIN by R W Brunskill ISBN 0-575-03379-7 Gollancz . Might be what you are looking for all joints are shown and terminology printed in 1985

Wow . just going to recommend the same book. I was only looking at it yesterday. Covers everything from Cruck truss construction to Cressing Temple Barns

Joe Thompson at the Weald and Downland museum runs some good timber framing short courses, if you feel the need to get some wood practice.

Plus the museum is a great place to go and have a poke about for a day or three.

Joe Thompson at the Weald and Downland museum runs some good timber framing short courses
I'd be up for that....but would those courses equip you with enough knowledge to take on an existing building? You know how swiftly you can get yourself into a world of trouble when you think you know something.......and you really don't. Have you been on one?

Latest posts

Back