Book buying advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samlarsen

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some book vouchers to use up :D and before I take the plunge on books I've never seen, can anyone recommend any books on the following topics?

Bandsaws: "the bandsaw book" and "Band saw handbook" seem readily available. Any difference :?:

Thicknesser: Any recomendations?

Shaker design, and Arts & crafts: Any recomendations?

Finishing timber: Any recomendations?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Sam

samlarsen":3uri1ili said:
Bandsaws: "the bandsaw book" and "Band saw handbook" seem readily available. Any difference :?:

Thicknesser: Any recomendations?

Shaker design, and Arts & crafts: Any recomendations?

Finishing timber: Any recomendations?

Many thanks in advance! :)

Sam

Although most will disagree with me, Lonnie Bird's The Bandsaw Book is much better (ie, gets to the point with less palava) than Mark Duginske's BS Handbook. It's got colour pictures too....Each are good but at 320 odd pages the BS Book is just too involved.

Thicknesser - Rick Peter's Jointers & Planers, excellent

Noel

Shaker design

The Shaker Legacy: Perspectives on an Enduring Furniture Style
by Christian Becksvoort

This isn't a 'How to' book with plans. After reading it, I understood the 'essence' of Shakerism that shaped the furniture style. For me, it was enlightening in that I felt I could follow my own design, rather than someone elses number by number.

Highly recommended quite apart from the beautiful photographs.

Whilst on the subject, I too would like a book on Arts and Craft furniture from a similar perspective rather than 'how-to make' format. So I am also interested in any recommendations.

Cheers

Ike

Hi Samlarsen,

I have both the BS books you mentioned. The Lonnie Bird one is the most used and the best value for simple, easy to use ideas and knowledge.

I have a book called "In the Craftsman Style" (I think) which seems quite good, I'm not mad keen on the project sections which probably fill just over half of the book but it gives a nice view of some modern interpretations of arts and crafts stuff.

I also have a similar one (In the Shaker Style?) which I'm not so keen on, probably because I don't like the furniture so much.

The best book I have is a big hardback on, something like a complete guide to furniture and cabinet making, which I think is very good, and I intend to get its sister book on joinery when I get round to it.........

Back