Book advice for a life changing decsion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Well we've finally bit the bullet and we are getting out of the rat race and moving to Northern Italy.

We had a house there for a while, reasonably OK with the language, so we thought, what the hell let's do it.

Now we have an old chesnut roasting house in the grounds of our house which I will renovate for B&B ing (part of the business plan).

Now I'm no builder so all structural work will be done by competent people, but all the rest I will do.

Now I was wondering what is the best DIY/House Rennovation book that covers everything from laying floors, plastering, roofing etc etc. Lots of rich descriptions many colour photos etc etc

Thanks for the advice in advance

Ciao

The Colins DIY Manual springs to mind. I have found it very useful over the years.

Good luck with your new venture Andy.

Once my leg has fixed my wife and I are moving to Spain.

Be prepared for any situation. We wish you well.

ATB, Gary & Mrs Gary.

Andy
All the best in your move, bet it will be great.
I imagine that the very first thing that you will find indispensable will be an ECE Primus Wooden Try plane in nearly new order........... :twisted:
Regards
Martin
(who wishes he knew what the reserve is on a certain plane.......)

Ah the ECE 701P - fraid it been bought by a Berliner, never mind I'm sure my 607 and 608 bedrocks will be handy.

Gary best of luck in Spain havng bought a house abroad some 7 years ago I know a few people who offere excellent advice pm me if you need those contacts, and I can give you a realistic view of what it costs to keep a house (albeit we are not in tourist ville so the local builders do not seem to try and rip you off)

This is the book that started me off. It's pretty good and along the same lines as the collins manual.

That said, these books are relevant to the british market and the materials available here. I'm a bit of a DIY program addict and whenever the work is undertaken abroad, the materials and method seem to differ to what we have. I guess that the fundementals are the same but in addition you might want to look for the Italian equivalent of the books recommended here.

Good luck with the move.

Saint

Good tip over the Italian British difference, I have lived in a number of countries and am aware of different (and even better would you belive) approaches (mind you nothing beat the british electrical regs - for years I've missed switches on sockets and 5A lighting circuits!)

I just wanted a reference book so when I buy the equiv in Italian I can compare and contrast. Even though my Italian is quite good I'm not sure I'd really understand a how to plaster a wall book in Italian just yet!

Hi Andy - Yes, why don't the continental sockets have switches :?: I tried asking the electrician rewiring our house and he looked at me in bemusement - He had never heard of such things :shock: Luckily I brought a dozen or so UK 13A sockets, with switches, and I'm putting them in my new workshop.

Andy, how fun! Congratulations.

And you know, you can always invite friends down for a working holiday. You might be amazed how much work could get done with a little organizing ahead of time.

Good luck and all my best to you and yours.

Mike

Andy,

Best of luck with it - I must admit to being slightly jealous!

Having lived in Luxembourg, France, Germany, the UK and now Ireland it has always amazed me the differences between the way countries do electrical work (e.g. in Luxembourg all houses have 3 phase supply and the oven is 3 phase, but in france the oven comes with a standard plug attached and you just fire it into a socket :shock: ) Bit the best has to be plumbing, What I would like is a combination of teh best bits - maybe something for the EU to get on to... on second thoughts no, I've seen there decision by commitee solutions!

This thread does bring up my number one bug bear about UK/Irish practices - Imersion heaters, and turning them off! I can never recall going into any house in europe, turning on a hot tap and getting no hot water!

Best of Luck - I think the working holiday mike sugests is a great idea, I could handle a week in Italy :wink:

Les

Back