Boiler wiring?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Having had a new boiler fitted I'm a little concerned about the unsecured wiring:
boiler%20wiring.jpg

knowing there's a wealth of expertise out there in the forum, can anyone offer opinion/advice as to whether it's OK or should I get the installers back in to sort it?

Admin edit: Fixed image code

Hi Graham

I would not be happy with thew cables strung across the gap like that.

Fromt eh photo, it appears not to be neccesarily dangerous or bad practice or a contravention of the regs (just lazy work), but you run the risk of damaging a cable or ripping it out of the motorised valve or thermostat when you push things in there to store them as shown in the photo

If I had wired it in, then I would have run the cables across the floor (or under it) and then up the boiler to the valve and 'stat rather than stringing them across the gap.

Also, the cable to the thermostat (white rectangle on the boiler) appears to be too short for point-to-point wiring as there is no visible slack and it is bent tight against the 'stat body - very poor work indeed

Thanks Tony... as u may have guessed, I'm less than happy, the quote was on the high side but the firm came recommended and I'd expected a 'good job' ...signs of the times? Whether it's wood, wires or boilers, if u find a reliable tradesman, hang on to him/her! ...I'm off in search of the holy grail :p ...could be gone a little while....

Hi Graham, Get them back. Not only is the wiring a problem but the 3 port motorised valve is sited wrongly. I am not a registered Central heating eng. but I have put a fair few system in and can read an instruction leaflet and on all of them it states DO NOT INSTALL WITH THE ACTUATOR BENEATH THE VALVE BODY.(Wickes) Honeywell State,The valve may be plumbed in at any angle but must not be mounted so that the valve head is below the horizontal level of the pipework. This is because it is a safety hazard in the event of the valve leaking.

Cheers Alan

Thanks Alan... I might be able to look as though I know what I'm talking about :wink: instead of :?

If only it was made of wood ...

gwaithcoed":99kyuwm6 said:
The valve may be plumbed in at any angle but must not be mounted so that the valve head is below the horizontal level of the pipework. This is because it is a safety hazard in the event of the valve leaking.

Cheers Alan

Definitely with Alan here a definite No-No. by ALL Manufactures.

I personally would have run the wiring in Plastic Ducting to help protect it and present a neater appearance, (far easier than knocking clips in anyway) and only adding a few pence if anything to cost.

Thanks Chas... trunking, as u say, would have solved the hanging wire mess.

Being just a woodturner, :roll: which bit is the valve / actuator?

th_valve.jpg

Hi Graham, The actuator is the silver bit over the top of the brass body. It is a small electric 240 volt motor which opens and closes the valve. Your valve will have the same motor but being a 3 port valve will have a printed circuit board in along with an extra micro switch.

Hope this helps Alan.

Thanks Alan... having had another look at me pic i think I see what u mean, the valve should be under the actuator, as in your pic

just wanted to say thanks for the input....
I've had the company back... :roll: loads of times :roll: but I won't bore u with the details... final (now there's a hope) visit this coming Friday

:x I've been left with a fume problem... mine, not the boilers :x

Thanks again for the help

Good idea Trev, I could convert the boiler room into a fume cupboard :p :p

Funny that you should mention that... haven't seen any postings from Paul lately...

You may want to ask them if their electrician is approved as my understanding is that since early 2005 all work electrical work carried out has to be signed off by a certified electrician.

Thank you Brussels and all the bureaucrats.

I know the prime idea behind this was safety but commonsense was not applied.

did someone use the words 'commonsense' and 'Brussels' in the same post there???

Never thought I'd see the day...!

(Checks again)

Ah yes... there is a fairly large gap between the two words in the post... but not as much between the two words in the real world!

Ah be nice the the brussels bureacrats - there paying my way at the moment \:D/

Anyway the wiring regs have nothing to do with brussels - like so many things blamed on brussels, the press likes to use them as a scapergoat - my favorite example of this was may years ago when I lived in Luxembourg, and was listening to the Radio 4 news program bemoaning the fact the brussels were going to stop the great britis tradition of milk deliveries, britan being the only country with this service blah blah, I had just picked up my milk of the door step, and I went and checked the Official Journal to find that there was no mention of milk delieries anywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a great european supporter, they are, like all bureacracies flawed and horribly in-efficient, but not all bad ideas originate in brussels.

Must go now, have to fight to get 2 PC's for the programmers coming next week - the budget for the programmers was approved, so they turn up, unfortunatly the budget for PC's was forgotten - ho hum, another day in euor paradise :roll:

Les

Back