boied linseed oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkus88

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've just done the 1st coat of boil linseed oil on my bandsaw. I know I need to let the rags dry flat before throwing away, I assume that also applies to latex gloves I used.

Mark

I wouldn't of thought latex gloves would be a problem really, the trouble with linseed oil is that it spontaneously combusts, as evidenced by the kings cross tube fire several years back. Personally I always chuck my rags into the chimnea and burn them under control.

I've stupidly forgot to put handles on the drawers of the box but the already have one coat of linseed oil. Should I sand back the oil or will PVA glue by able to hold them on the drawers?

deserter":3glozbl2 said:
the trouble with linseed oil is that it spontaneously combusts, as evidenced by the kings cross tube fire several years back.

The Kings Cross fire was caused by a match or cigarette that fell onto an oily (not linseed) and dusty escalator track :?

Not that I'm disputing the nature of linseed oil. My oily rags go into the chiminea for burning.

Your absolutely right so google informs me, I always thought if was linseed on rags from polishing the woodwork. Not sure where I got that from but I stand corrected.

I've worked for London Underground for 10 years so I've had that one drummed into me :lol: When I started LU was hot (pun not inteneded) on its fire safety training. Every member of staff had a fire safety certificate that had to be renewed every year. Then it became every two years... then they did away with it altogether :roll:

Back