Bog oak polish.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenhayman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am relatively new to wood turning and am enjoying trying out various projects.
I have made a couple of vertical sided bowls 100mm diameter and 25mm high out of bog oak.
Sanded them, sealed with Mylands Cellulose Sealer and then polished with Wood Wax 22
This process left white wax in the end grain which I couldn't polish out. Eventually heated it a little with heat gun which melted it.
The white wax has gone but so has the shine! Suggestions as to what I do next please.

Black boot polish?
Not used it on bog oak.....but in Africa I've seen it used on carving.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Use a clear wax polish, let it set long enough to tack off and then buff vigorously with a stiff brush.

+1 for black boot polish. It is a high-quality wax which is already the right colour. It's good on all sorts of black woods. I've used it on Ebony and African Blackwood knobs before now. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

fenhayman":3l6ae97v said:
….
…...then polished with Wood Wax 22
This process left white wax in the end grain which I couldn't polish out. Eventually heated it a little with heat gun which melted it.

Sounds like you were too liberal with the application of the paste wax in the first place.
You need just the lightest surface smear, await until the solvents have dispersed and then buff. On open pored woods a stiff fine bristle brush can reduce the risk of leaving surplus wax in the pores.

I would have expected the heat dispersed wax to have buffed back up to a shine.

A hard wax like Carnauba applied with a polishing mop should avoid leaving surplus wax

CHJ":1suj3he1 said:
I would have expected the heat dispersed wax to have buffed back up to a shine.

If you go this route which CHJ has suggested then make sure it is a lint free cloth and not a fluffy type duster as you will end up with bits of fluff stuck in the pours.
Or as already suggested a proper buffing brush

Thanks to all who replied. I used black boot polish and am pleased with the result.
Will be less liberal with wax in the future!

Back