Bog oak pen blanks.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
We'll have to make it quick, because I get a bit dizzy in this sub-forum........It's not my natural territory!

I am starting a project in bog oak, and it is generating some small off cuts. The only thing they are any use for is pen blanks, or maybe the occasional tool handle, just because of their size. Free to you guys, but something for P&P. The most important question is what size is a pen blank?

Drop me a PM if you want one or some. At the moment they are all black, but I am sure that in due course there will be some rich deep brown ones too.

MikeG.":120fy9km said:
…... The most important question is what size is a pen blank?

20 x 20 x 150mm. should cover most requirements.

That's hard to answer, Rorsach, because it is the "live edge" that I'm talking about at the moment, so the shapes are all over the place. I've had quite a demand for pen blanks so far, so if you want something bigger (tool handles, that sort of thing) it may have to wait until I get further into the project.

Now, I know you spinny people are expert at working with all sorts of stuff, so when I was slicing up the off-cuts this morning, instead of binning all the sap wood which is quite soft, I thought I'd ask you first. It is a beautiful speckled yellow and black, but it's pretty soft. I guess you'd treat it like spalted timber. Is this any use to you guys, or do you want to just stick to the black/ brown heartwood?

I would be interested to see a pic. sounds interesting but I didn't even realise it was a thing!

MikeG.":28srj0kp said:
Now, I know you spinny people are expert at working with all sorts of stuff, so when I was slicing up the off-cuts this morning, instead of binning all the sap wood which is quite soft, I thought I'd ask you first. It is a beautiful speckled yellow and black, but it's pretty soft. I guess you'd treat it like spalted timber. Is this any use to you guys, or do you want to just stick to the black/ brown heartwood?
It can be useful and often very attractive Mike but depends just how punky it is. If not too bad then it can be hardened as it's being turned using CA otherwise it can be treated in a vac or pressure chamber and perhaps cast in resin.

I don't have the facilities but many do and can produce amazing blanks from scraps. Look up stabilised pen blanks for images.

Rorschach":38hfg26x said:
I would be wanting something at least 2" x 2" x 4", is that likely at all?

I'll have a look. Black? At the moment I am working from a board that is finishing about 40mm thick, so the chances of a 50mm thick offcut is low.

mayo.mick":3w2b2obx said:
Hi Mike,
I'd be interested in some pen blanks if you have a lot of them. I can paypal the p&p to Ireland here no problem.

Drop me a PM, Mick. It keeps everything in one place.

MikeG.":2fm5ovub said:
Rorschach":2fm5ovub said:
I would be wanting something at least 2" x 2" x 4", is that likely at all?

I'll have a look. Black? At the moment I am working from a board that is finishing about 40mm thick, so the chances of a 50mm thick offcut is low.

I thought it might be but worth asking. "Offcuts" mean different things to different people, some peoples offcuts are bigger than others raw stock :lol:

Colour not important as long as it's sound material.

marcros":28zxed10 said:
I would be interested to see a pic. sounds interesting but I didn't even realise it was a thing!

There must have been dust on the lens ( :wink: :lol: ). I'll have another try tomorrow:

MbK475j.jpg

Right chaps, I'm going to report a short delay, I'm afraid........but it could be good news. My FIL has had a stroke so my wife has shot off at short notice....at the very same time that my van is in the garage getting sorted for its MOT. I am therefore without transport, and live 5 or 6 miles from the nearest post office. The good news is that I am generating more in the way of off cuts, and expect even more over the weekend, so anyone who has asked for them will likely get what they want. At the moment I think we're up to around 40 or so pen blanks, but you're going to have to wait a week.

No hurry from my side Mike, hope the FiL is ok. Time in the workshop with no distractions sounds pretty good to me.

My MiL is 92 and just came out of hospital last Friday, she's had a few falls and a bad case of blood poisoning also is getting more confused by the day so my wife has clocking up time and miles.

Same, no rush for me either, even if it is the far side of Christmas. Family comes first.

Back