Bog oak bevel gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
I've put up with a broken bevel gauge for years now, but I have a big need for it coming up soon, and I'm tired of the slight wobbliness. A splinter had broken off one of my bog oak boards, so I thought I would exploit this and make a replacement handle. Here's the original Stanley plastic-handled gauge:

9h59HcH.jpg

iLa36h0.jpg

And here is the splinter of bog oak:

wCtgASh.jpg

I sawed a bit off, then did some planing:

BtjkWvM.jpg

Then some shaping:

X9BJTmg.jpg

Glooped on the first varnish I put my hand on:

AfI9nUH.jpg

And then re-assembled:

NQQ3aEg.jpg

UgK9uJY.jpg

You really don't need more tools ;) Those shavings are lovely and dark. Not jealous. At. All.

Very nice.

I don’t think you will get any problems with corrosion unless you get it wet.

Pete

Steve Maskery":361dep0u said:
Mike, are you not concerned about the oak corroding the blade? Or has all the tannin long since leached out?

I don't think so, Steve, but as this bit of kit is in use almost every time I go to the workshop, I'll be keeping a watching brief. My impression working with the oak is that is isn't as brittle as ordinary seasoned oak, being slightly soapy in its feel. I assume that the tannins leached into the bog thousands of years ago.

It's just dawned on me that I could try ebonising it with vinegar and steel wool. If that has no effect I am pretty sure that would indicate it is free of tannins. I'll try it this morning.

Back