Bodging a tool tote/carry bag thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pallet Fancier

Established Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a bodging forum, so guess this is as good a place as any.

I was looking at hand luggage and other similar types of bags the other day, and wondered if I could bodge one into a way of carrying/dragging a few tools and batteries around. The reason: I'll be helping a friend with his boat and it's not near a car park, so everything has to be carried in and out along bridges and over grass and some broken surfaces.

I don't do this all the time, so don't really need to splash cash on a bespoke solution. Unless this is the only viable option!

How about a carpenters case?

Or a erauber tool bag I have spare if your interested? Where are you?

Cheers James

It’s on his badge James, Cheshire, so not a million miles from you. How about a very simple drag thing on two wheels, or buy an unwanted golf caddy thing and adapt, they’re used to uneven ground, I did that once with an inflatable dinghy, worked well for awhile. Ian

In non-covid times I regularly carry tools to an evening class. I just use a couple of rucksacks. Nothing special, just school bags that became a bit too scruffy for that use.

I tend to prefer bags/totes to hard boxes for my tools as they are a bit more versatile. When needing to take them longer distances than car to house I use some straps/bungees and pile them up in a small folding sack truck. Works well for me and very flexible.

if it is rough surfaces, the small wheels on a suitcase will likely be next to useless.

There are a million options for toolboxes, open totes etc from amazon, screwfix etc. If you are not wanting to splash out on those then a rucksack is going to hold the weight best (on your back). Perhaps supplimented with a holdall or two.

Not sure what distance you are travelling, but you might want to consider strapping a load to a wheel barrow, the big wheel is going to make light work of rough ground, as would a wheel chair or a golf trolley, all depends what you have to hand.

Second hand electric golf trolley. Adapt the "plate" on the bottom to similar to a sack barrow, but bigger. Couple of cheap stacking plastic boxes and you're away :cool:

The problem with any kind of makeshift project is it relies on what you've got to hand, so any advice is irrelevant unless you've got the right bits (or can find it cheap and quick). My process is simply trial and error, and literally hours of walking around looking at what I've got to play with and how it could go together, normally that is followed by me cursing myself for throwing something away that would have been just the right thing. For this build I'd find the biggest wheels you can, and work from there

You maybe in luck and the Marina might have garden centre style trolleys.

Otherwise what about a festival trolley - I have a gorrilla trolley and find it much more stable and useful than a wheelbarrow.

A Stanley roll along tool box are good value and useful too.

Cheers James

Last edited:
The problem with any kind of makeshift project is it relies on what you've got to hand, so any advice is irrelevant unless you've got the right bits (or can find it cheap and quick). My process is simply trial and error, and literally hours of walking around looking at what I've got to play with and how it could go together, normally that is followed by me cursing myself for throwing something away that would have been just the right thing. For this build I'd find the biggest wheels you can, and work from there

This reflects my experience with makeshift projects, plus I generally find that in a ‘bodge a solution’ type project I end up using the tools that I want to use but don’t otherwise often have a reason to, such as riveters, nail guns, sewing, etc.

the problem with those home made open tool totes is that they are heavy before you've even put a screwdriver in them. It would be easy enough to make a couple, load yourself up and set off cross country, but two minutes in your arms would feel like they were going to snap.

Even if you use a couple of light(er) weight bought ones, you've still got a lot of weight from the tools. a bit of a slog for carrying any distance.

Which brings you back round to wheels

that's why you use pine, spruce or poplar, you want a lightweight wood, don't go using desert ironwood or rosewood for this one. ;)

Tesco Bag for Life :LOL:
you joke, but several years ago I'd just moved into a place, a couple of bits needed doing and the landlord sent round some bloke with a bunch of kitchen tools and some rusty allen keys in a carrier bag, he then preceded to (attempt to) tighten up a wobbly curtain pole with a butter knife.

How about a carpenters case?

Or a erauber tool bag I have spare if your interested? Where are you?

Cheers James

Thanks, James. Very generous. My only concern is having anything that's tool branded, or very obviously a tool bag. I always liked what pro photographers used to do (don't seem to, anymore). They would get a scruffy-looking leather or canvas bag, pad the interior, run chain through the shoulder straps for cut resistance, and pretend it wasn't full of expensive camera equipment! Or maybe they don't do that now because it didn't work?

I know a guy who uses his branded tool bag (Makita, or something) to carry the baby stuff when they go on day trips! Bottles and nappies!

Just been looking at carpenters' cases. I presume you meant the open-topped tool tote style?

I just so happen to have resisted throwing away a set of wheelie bin wheels...

you joke, but several years ago I'd just moved into a place, a couple of bits needed doing and the landlord sent round some bloke with a bunch of kitchen tools and some rusty allen keys in a carrier bag, he then preceded to (attempt to) tighten up a wobbly curtain pole with a butter knife.

I had to reread that a couple of times. A carrier bag and cutlery? :oops: I've clearly led a sheltered life!

Latest posts

Back