Bobby's home office / gym build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seeing all that rebar reminds me, did anyone else see the prog about building hinckley point c nuclear power station. the reactor floor section took nearly 9000 cubic metres of concrete in one three day continous pour! the amount of rebar and the sizes of it were staggering. the prog is on bbc iplayer of anyone is interested (last thurs night 3/6 at 2000 i think)

PS are you mixing the concrete by hand................... ok fetching coat and dodging shovel!

And they talk about being carbon neutral! How much carbon has been created in making that volume of concrete, steel and the machinery used to construct.

Next was finishing the steel work and pouring the slab.

mqk25Xy.jpg

UvfIWSL.jpg
407rTDJ.jpg

Are you sure you don't want one of these instead DR Bob

1623491327144.png

Retaining wall under way, concrete block work with a yellow rustic brick face, to one side and back of building (stepping down). Leaves a 1m wide path around building. 100mm insulation on the floor before screeing, wastes in insulation layer.

ZqxGcvY.jpg

dZoXE60.jpg

WeVR6NA.jpg

Bit confused here. In your first post you said 'going down the Permitted Development" route and that PD had been granted. I thought that that was the point of PD? That you didn't need to involve planning and be 'granted'.

Given the size, I assume you've got Building Control involved ?

Bit confused here. In your first post you said 'going down the Permitted Development" route and that PD had been granted. I thought that that was the point of PD? That you didn't need to involve planning and be 'granted'.

Given the size, I assume you've got Building Control involved ?

Hi, I should have said we are in a conservation area, hence needing permission.
Yes BC involved.

WA. You are right that if it fits the definition/parameters of PD, you don't need permission from anyone or any paperwork (planning wise only, building control is a different matter). However you can apply for a certificate of lawful development from the planning department that confirms it does indeed fall under PD. This is useful if you're not sure it falls under PD, or want to prove it to the neighbours.
Mark

And they talk about being carbon neutral! How much carbon has been created in making that volume of concrete, steel and the machinery used to construct.

There are some inactive plants here in the states now. One near home was TMI, which as far as I know had it's remaining reactor go offline a few years ago. The sites are about a square mile. Nuke sites in the USA are required to escrow the cost of decommissioning, so that's not an issue, but I wonder what will happen with all of that concrete. I don't think it's required to be removed and at some point, it'll be abandoned.

The plant west of me now says it can't operate profitably without a 2 cent per kwhr subsidy. These are privately run in the US and won't continue to run without public money as nat gas can make a profit at 75% of nuke cost and wind and solar will be cheaper if they aren't already.

Hardcored the front 2m run just as a basis for the patio area / slabs out the front. Giving this a bit of thought but I think I'll do a sleeper spiral staircase 1200mm quarter turn at the top end near the brick wall and then teardrop shape edged with upright sleepers to where the whacker is.

xXdkZ1d.jpg

Back