Bobby's home office / gym build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I have gone the permitted development route, I have a big garden and can keep it 2m from the boundry, the building is 3m high, so it seemed the easy sensible route. PD has been granted.
I won't post up plans just daily progress pictures, I'm a few weeks into it so there is a delay in posting but I thought it may be of interest.

Day 1, some materials arrive along with digger and dumper

Lh5xWNh.jpg

o52nUk1.jpg

2h61Wi1.jpg

Nice, I enjoy a good build log. It looks like you are going serious with the rebar.

Ollie

yes, floating raft foundation, I think it's been over engineered but I have some serious bifold doors going in so no movement is essential. SIP panel building on a brick plinth.

digging out started, 14m x 8m, building is smaller. (12m x 5m)
Ground rises by 800mm over the 14m. so 300mm deep one end 1100 deep the other

KUlTNKP.jpg

How are you retaining the earth? Gabbons? Timber retainers? Block work?

Cheers James

Cool, interested to see the sips go in. I contemplated these for my upstairs workshop (inside a barn so not quite the same) in the end I went with sort of home made sips with osb and rockwool. Be good to see the proper way to do it.

Ollie

This will be fun to watch. 12 x 5m is almost bigger than my downstairs living space in my house.
I will only ever dream of a garden this big so it's fun to have this forum to watch these types of build

100 tonnes of soil removed. Rather costly. Originally I was going to lose it in the garden but there was too much, the local farmer may have been able to help but logistically it was easier to bite the bullet and pay for removal.

The raft is the deepest part, the shallower part at the front is for a hardcore base for a small patio area.
Still thinking about the slope and how the patio meets grass but I think I'll have a sleeper spiral steps on the high end and a sleeper edge at the patio front.

2WUzyLb.jpg

This image gives you an idea of where the building is located in relation to the house

uyGVDNB.jpg

Last edited:
Liner down, waste to mains drain in, heavy duty armoured cable in, Reinforcement rebar started.

YYcN7R7.jpg

IPxbDbw.jpg

Don’t forget some data cable (cat 5/6 or fibre) in case you need internet or other services in the workshop

worth while while you have a trench for the power already

Yes already there, we get BT out in a few weeks to split the line in (it's not a workshop)

Wheres the duct? We always run supply cables in a duct just like the DNO's but there is no requirement saying you must, just good practice.
Runs in a duct for most of it except under the existing patio where it goes into the house.

Back