• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Bobby's home office / gym build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
seeing all that rebar reminds me, did anyone else see the prog about building hinckley point c nuclear power station. the reactor floor section took nearly 9000 cubic metres of concrete in one three day continous pour! the amount of rebar and the sizes of it were staggering. the prog is on bbc iplayer of anyone is interested (last thurs night 3/6 at 2000 i think)

PS are you mixing the concrete by hand................... ok fetching coat and dodging shovel!

Spectric

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
And they talk about being carbon neutral! How much carbon has been created in making that volume of concrete, steel and the machinery used to construct.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't want one of these instead DR Bob

1623491327144.png

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Retaining wall under way, concrete block work with a yellow rustic brick face, to one side and back of building (stepping down). Leaves a 1m wide path around building. 100mm insulation on the floor before screeing, wastes in insulation layer.

woodieallen

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit confused here. In your first post you said 'going down the Permitted Development" route and that PD had been granted. I thought that that was the point of PD? That you didn't need to involve planning and be 'granted'.

Given the size, I assume you've got Building Control involved ?

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit confused here. In your first post you said 'going down the Permitted Development" route and that PD had been granted. I thought that that was the point of PD? That you didn't need to involve planning and be 'granted'.

Given the size, I assume you've got Building Control involved ?
Hi, I should have said we are in a conservation area, hence needing permission.
Yes BC involved.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
WA. You are right that if it fits the definition/parameters of PD, you don't need permission from anyone or any paperwork (planning wise only, building control is a different matter). However you can apply for a certificate of lawful development from the planning department that confirms it does indeed fall under PD. This is useful if you're not sure it falls under PD, or want to prove it to the neighbours.
Mark

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
That’s looking big now Bob, :oops: you sure the misses hasnt agreed to this so she can move you in there permanently :unsure:

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
And they talk about being carbon neutral! How much carbon has been created in making that volume of concrete, steel and the machinery used to construct.
There are some inactive plants here in the states now. One near home was TMI, which as far as I know had it's remaining reactor go offline a few years ago. The sites are about a square mile. Nuke sites in the USA are required to escrow the cost of decommissioning, so that's not an issue, but I wonder what will happen with all of that concrete. I don't think it's required to be removed and at some point, it'll be abandoned.

The plant west of me now says it can't operate profitably without a 2 cent per kwhr subsidy. These are privately run in the US and won't continue to run without public money as nat gas can make a profit at 75% of nuke cost and wind and solar will be cheaper if they aren't already.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Hardcored the front 2m run just as a basis for the patio area / slabs out the front. Giving this a bit of thought but I think I'll do a sleeper spiral staircase 1200mm quarter turn at the top end near the brick wall and then teardrop shape edged with upright sleepers to where the whacker is.

Latest posts