Bobbin sanders (again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
This is kind of a rant, kind of an appeal for info.
I have a record BBS1 bench top bobbin sander.
Because of the way the sleeve spindles are made, 40 mm of the tube is always below the table top. so on a 140 mm long tube, the maximum depth of wood I can sand is only 100 mm (more like 90 mm with the end of the bobbin being rough).

Why would you make something that wastes about 35% of the product?
Because of this it is useless for my bandsaw boxes and the machine is very rarely used.
Does anyone know of a machine that has ALL of the bobbin available for use?
Or if the larger BBS2 bobbins will fit the BBS1. There would STILL be 35% wasted but as they are longer to start with they would be more useful to me.
The high cost of these bobbins stops me from buying any to see if I can make them fit. I no longer have access to metal turning lathes or equipment.

Transatlantic; its a mini belt sander. not enough flex for me, I want anything up to a 270 degree arc sanded.

Teroo; add the cost of the sanding bobbins, add VAT and shipping to and from Cyprus if it doesnt fit, and youre up well over 50 quid, let alone the two to three weeks each way parcel service and you can see why it aint gonna work for me.

I'm quite amazed that there seems to be nobody with these machines. For wood up to 75 mm thick they are extremely useful things. trouble is my boxes are mostly 100 to 160 mm thick

sunnybob":1izgl02m said:
Transatlantic; its a mini belt sander. not enough flex for me, I want anything up to a 270 degree arc sanded.

Ah ok. It's a great design though. I can see it being very hand, especially with the curved inserts.

Why can't you take off the tube, turn it up the other way and put it back to use the "bit you can't get to"?

You can, but then the top 30% is new grit and the lower 60% is worn out grit. Makes more mess than throwing away a tube with 30% unused.

I have the Scheppach OSM100 and, apart from the bottom few millimetres, the whole length of the spindle is used. It may not be the same quality and size as the Record Power but I've used it a lot and it's never let me down so far. I also like it has a bigger range of sleeve diameters. The machine's identical to the Triton TSPS450 and there may be more clones on the market. It's essentially some Chinese brand which has been bought by many Western and re-branded.
It's cheap and functions well. Maybe something for you ?
Best wishes,

Patrick

Problem there is I have £300 invested in this one.
I've had it all apart today to see if there was any way I could raise the motor assembly (or lower the table), but no such luck. It is what it as and thats an end to it.

Blimey - you really are bored today aren’t you bob? Why don’t you just have a beer by the pool and make us all feel jealous? :)

Memzey; I'm even sworn off the beer in my attempt to reverse the middle age spread thats affecting me. (damn I'd be happy if I was middle aged!).

I'm saving all my beer tokens for next thursday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: at least that will give you something to look forward to and help you take your mind off that sander! Or you could just have a beer and if Pauline says anything blame it on me - I’ve always been a bad influence!!

My beer fridge has a lot of EFES inside it. i just might do something about that next week 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back