Bobbin sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of the items I have made for Xmas presents this year would have been much easier to finish with a bobbin sander, so I am now in the market for one. Looking around, there seems to be numerous similar ones at around £130 (of which the Sheppach has caught my eye) and then the Jet for £360. I'm torn because £360 is way to much for me to justify, but equally, I don't want to spend £130 and find that the machine a load of rubbish.

Does anyone have any strong views on either the Sheppach or the Jet? Is a tilting table (which seems to be the main difference in terms of features) essential, or a pointless luxury? Should I save up, or wait for a Jet to come up second hand? Is there something I'm missing?

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks and Merry Christmas.

As I understand it the big difference is the Jet has an induction motor the Scheppach/Triton/any other brand has not. This results in several db difference.

Thanks PAC and Mike.

Is noise likely to be a deal-breaker do you think? Has anyone got one of the cheaper ones who could comment?

Mike, does the lack of oscillation make a big difference?

3' x 2' Baltic birch ply. Solid base piece, top is made from 4 pieces of ply, butting up to the 3 pieces of Axminster's alloy T-Track. Round holes made with router and circle jig, as are inserts to suit my range of drum sanders. Drawer is short and allows for dust collection behind the drawer. Mounted to existing pillar drill table.

I can get oscillation by raising and lowering the quill (or get wife to move the quill while I control the cut. The fence works well as a thicknesser for guitar and ukulele parts.

Noggsy
I'd be interested to see how you get on, I have the Delta and at the moment I'm struggling to find anywhere over here that can supply the sanding sleeves. Therefore I might have to go for another machine.

Wake, I'll let you know. I suspect I'll be getting the Jet one on the basis that it's better to stretch and buy the best you can. Axi are supposed to have a clearance sale on today, but no sign so far...

Sorry to jump on OP thread

Mike

have u got a pic of the rear of fence?
I cant work out how it attaches to the track

Steve

Hi Noggsy,
I bought a Scheppach bobbin sander a couple of months ago. Regarding noise, it's loud enough for me to wear ear defenders but not nearly as loud as a P/T or TS. I haven't used it for long enough to comment on reliability.
Cheers,
John

Steve, no probs mate.

John, thanks for that. Does it work ok and do you feel the lack of a tiltng table?

It's the first bobbin sander I've owned so can't compare it to other makes. For me it seems to do the job OK and I've not had the need for a tilting table.
Cheers,
John

Noggsy":178wosnp said:
Wake, I'll let you know. I suspect I'll be getting the Jet one on the basis that it's better to stretch and buy the best you can. Axi are supposed to have a clearance sale on today, but no sign so far...
It's there, but with new look site it's hidden.
Scroll over any of the department listings under the top banner. On the pop up you will see - clearance sales. After looking at some of the items, the prices are not a patch on the savings made in this years one from the start of the year. :?

I bought a cheap Dakota version of the model offered by Triton/Scheppach and I am absolutely delighted with it. the spindle is bang on 90 degrees to the table and I have not managed to stall it (or even slow it down) yet despite doing some heavy shaping when my bandsaw stopped working. I even trust it enough to have used it to thickness down the headstock on a finished guitar.
I don't think it's noisy enough to warrant ear defenders, I would say its comparable to a hairdryer and I certainly don't worry about using it compared to some other tools.

I should have posted this in an earlier thread but it slipped my mind.

Most of the common ones are from the same far-eastern exporters, re-badged with slight cosmetic and colour differences

As a rule of thumb the dearer ones with the square top have induction motors the smaller, cheaper ones with a curved top have brush motors.

Waka":3idsrk93 said:
Noggsy
I'd be interested to see how you get on, I have the Delta and at the moment I'm struggling to find anywhere over here that can supply the sanding sleeves. Therefore I might have to go for another machine.

I've got a delta too, i buy my sleeves off ebay, they're not too cheap though but last forever

My brother has a Delta and I am fairly sure he gets his sleeves from Machine Mart, or used to. I think he also got some replacement bobbins/spindles for his from there too, although I may be wrong.

HTH

Caz

Back