Bobbin sander losing power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan86

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Just tried to use my bobbin sander (Clarke COEBS1) for the first time in a few months and it seems to be losing power. The rotation speed is really variable from normal down to really slow. Nothing wrong with the power source so can only assume it's the motor? There's also a slight burning smell when it's on.

It's 14 months old so out of warranty. Will be annoyed if it's not fixable! Maybe the motor needs cleaning or something?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Have a look at the motor start-run capacitor if one is fitted, look for signs of burning or leaking.

Don't look too closely with power supplied in case it spits out hot debris.

Check your mains lead for crushed or cut sections, and the connections both ends of it.
Confirm the wall socket is fine by plugging something else into and making sure that runs steady.
Then turn it over and see if its filled up with sawdust.

at 14 months, you will still have some rights as a consumer. The EU gives you a minimum of a 2 year warranty, and Uk law 6 years although the burden of proof is on you to prove that it wasn't wear and tare or misuse. I would check for anything obvious and blow out any dust etc, but I would contact Clarke before you dismantle anything. The consumer rights act is your friend here, if you want to do some research as well as some eu law.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/c ... in-2-years

Be very wary of any research referring you to the Sale of Goods Act (SGA) (assuming that you bought it for your own use rather than for your company). The Consumer Rights Act took over from 2015, so advice on claims under the SGA for this are out of date.

Thanks for the replies. I'd checked the power supply and it's definitely the machine rather than the plug.

I'd contacted Clarke about servicing as I didn't want to start taking it apart myself first off. They just replied saying to take it into machine mart for forwarding to their service centre. They said it only has a 12 month warranty though.

On a low end machine like that a repair bill could easily be a large proportion of the cost of new.
Be bold and open it up. Check the oscillation mechanism is not full of dust and absorbing lots of power.
If the motor only has one capacitor this is likely for starting only especially if you head a click as the motor slows down. If it has two capacitors, the electrically smaller one will possibly be the run capacitor and could need replacing. Ebay is a good source - search for "motor run capacitors" and choose one electrically similar and one which will fit mechanically. Continually running it at below design speed could well damage the motor so it does need sorting out sooner rather than later.

Sounds daft but are you sure it's losing power? Couldn't be that the sandpaper sleeves are loose?

I have a bobbin sander, there are no electronics in it (Record BBS1)
You have a mains in, a switch, a motor, and a mechanical rise and fall system.

If the speed varies, or slows down, there is a problem with your incoming mains supply.

The rise and fall system has bearings, which may be partly seized (unlikely)
If your mains lead has good solid connections the most likely culprit is the capacitor. have you replaced the capacitor?

Well, Clarke finally looked at it after having it a month and have just phoned to say the motor is broken and it's a 6-month wait for a new part and then it'll cost as much as a new unit. I'm furious as it's clearly a faulty product. It's had less than 1h use over a year and they refused to do anything as it was 2 months out of warranty.

Clarke are notorius for minimal warranty support and digging their heels in so good luck with getting any satisfaction that way.

Latest posts

Back