Bob Scarle - Box - Now Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,
Glad to see you overcame the hinge problem and turned out a very nice box, the sunken hinge and round corners were obviously wrong but there's only one way to find out (hammer)
What wood did you use for the tray?

Andy

andersonec":17bweawf said:
the sunken hinge and round corners were obviously wrong

Not too sure I understand that comment. The hinge looks good now, yes it is sunken a little, but it is not unattractive. Round corners?

The tray is made from chestnut and maple. The wood is the same as the lid but the difference is obvious to see, there is a lot more contrast.

bobscarle":983utbr4 said:
andersonec":983utbr4 said:
the sunken hinge and round corners were obviously wrong

Not too sure I understand that comment. The hinge looks good now, yes it is sunken a little, but it is not unattractive. Round corners?

The tray is made from chestnut and maple. The wood is the same as the lid but the difference is obvious to see, there is a lot more contrast.

Read back through the post Bob and you will see what it is all about, I had previously suggested trying sinking the hinges lower and rounding the corners of the mortice.

Andy

andersonec":26l2ptin said:
Read back through the post Bob and you will see what it is all about, I had previously suggested trying sinking the hinges lower and rounding the corners of the mortice.
Andy

Andy. I know what you said but I don't understand why you say that it is obviously wrong. I am very pleased with the way the box turned out and I think the hinges look good. I do not think they are "Obviously wrong" as you say. If you don't like them, then that is fine, it's a personal preference. But just to say something is wrong....

Bob

bobscarle":2red1rxw said:
andersonec":2red1rxw said:
Andy

Andy. I know what you said but I don't understand why you say that it is obviously wrong. I am very pleased with the way the box turned out and I think the hinges look good. I do not think they are "Obviously wrong" as you say. If you don't like them, then that is fine, it's a personal preference. But just to say something is wrong....

Bob

Bob,

A little mix up here I'm afraid, if you go back up to your post on Sunday 14th, you have posted a picture where you tried my suggestion of rounding the corners of the recess for the hinge on a piece of offcut, you said that you were not unhappy with the result and I tried to agree with you by saying the rounded edges were obviously wrong, perhaps on re-reading your post I misread it as "you were unhappy with them", can't remember, it was this photo to which I was referring.

In the final photo of the finished box I cannot see how you have finished the recess for the hinge or if you did indeed round the edges.

Apologies if my post caused some misunderstanding but in no way was I making any derogatory comments about your box or the hinges.

Andy

Back