Bob Gets a New Shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobscarle

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the time came when the garage was just too small. I had to move out. We have a patch of land by the side of the house which was not being used and thought it would make a nice place for a new workshop (shed). The ground slopes so it would have to be dug out and leveled, no easy task when you have clay soil. Work started over the Easter holiday.

The biggest possible size is about 16' x 8' so one was duly ordered, a Walton, Heavy duty, Double Door shed.

Ben's turn to dig. Note the supervisor!!!
shed1.jpg

There's nothing like light, well drained soil......
shed2.jpg

Getting there
shed3.jpg

The shed is up, the roof is on. In the garage power was always a problem. Plenty of sockets in here. Some of the tools are now in the shed and the workbench.
shed4.jpg

This is a cabinet for the new Bosch table saw. More pictures of this later.
shed5.jpg

So there we are. The next job is for an electrician to come in, test the wiring and connect the armoured cable. Then we will have power and light and the fun can really start.

More pictures soon.

Bob

Good project Bob, before you get too settled; are you putting in any insulation?

Some rockwool/fibreglass infill and plasterboard lining would make a world of difference in temperature control both winter and summer and help considerably with noise reduction for the neighbors.

Nows the time to do it although the extra expense may not be welcome.

Don't forget the Alarm System either!

Nice Job, Bob.

I echo the point about insulation and internal cladding. It's a right PITA to fit after all you kit is installed.

Andy

Looks like a great spot! Don't envy that clay though.

Adam

That's bringing back lots of good memories for me. When I bought my shed-cum-workshop it was such an exciting time, anticipating the pleasure I'd have woodworking. May your new workplace bring you the happiness that mine has brought me.

Gill

Looks like a place you'll be very happy :).

The site supervisor in the first pic made me smile :lol:

dedee":yx6azqkj said:
Nice Job, Bob.

I echo the point about insulation and internal cladding. It's a right PITA to fit after all you kit is installed.

Andy

I agree with this.

Its not much work, but a world of difference

Thanks everybody for your words of encouragement. I fully intend to insulate and clad the inside of the shed hopefully soon. The electrician came yesterday and connected the new armoured cable, so I now have power and light.

I have been looking at insulation. I have used fibreglass in the past but it seems that the smallest thickness is 100mm and I am concerned that if I squash this it may loose some of it insulating properties. The other product I have been looking at is aluminium coated bubble wrap. I have never used this but the blurb sounds good. Does anybody have any experience with insulation and could offer an opinion?

I had thought of using 12mm ply to clad the walls, is this a reasonable choice or overkill?

I am in the process of making some simple cabinets, on wheels, for the mitre saw, thicknesser, etc to sit on, similar to the one I made for the table saw. I will post some pictures if anybody is interested.

Bob

Bob,
12mm may be overkill IMHO. Perhaps it depends what, if anything you want to hang directly onto the cladding. I have used scrap hardboard, from the backs of old cabinets, in my workshop as it is only needed to prevent the insulation from falling out.

Andy

bobscarle":1h11fbg9 said:
...snip..
I have been looking at insulation. I have used fibreglass in the past but it seems that the smallest thickness is 100mm ...snipp... Does anybody have any experience with insulation and could offer an opinion?...snip...

You can get 50mm fibre glass in slabs, used for cavity insulation, and I personally would use 13mm plaster board, It will deaden sound better and be easier to cut, just run a stanley knife down one side and hinge it to crack then slit remaining paper on other side.

Fitting objects to walls is no problem as you can span your verticals with battens etc.

dedee":31fsv2yr said:
Bob,
12mm may be overkill IMHO. Perhaps it depends what, if anything you want to hang directly onto the cladding. I have used scrap hardboard, from the backs of old cabinets, in my workshop as it is only needed to prevent the insulation from falling out.

Andy

And keep the draughts out when the knots shrink.

dedee":r7khfulj said:
Bob,

Andy

No 12mm is no overkill in my opinion, as it is flat and strong and will give a whole lot more stability to the shed.

Secondly i would use the polystyrene sheets, they are easy to use and do not give you ichy arms and hands :wink:

bobscarle":3ohqii1g said:
I have been looking at insulation. I have used fibreglass in the past but it seems that the smallest thickness is 100mm and I am concerned that if I squash this it may loose some of it insulating properties. The other product I have been looking at is aluminium coated bubble wrap. I have never used this but the blurb sounds good. Does anybody have any experience with insulation and could offer an opinion?

Bob

Bob
I used the 100mm insulation from B&Q, cut it to fit and then split into two 50mm thick pieces.
Did double the coverage and seems to work pretty well as far as insulating the shed goes, definitely warmer in winter.

Chris.

Back