Board Edging Trimmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColG

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some MFC panels to edge and will be using Melamine edging. Can anybody help me locate the little handheld tool for trimming the edges once the edgig strip is applied. I've seen Norm using one and this new guy from "Cutting Edge Woodworking".

It looks like it is a device that has a block that rides on the edge of the board with two Stanley blades to do the actual trimming.

Cheers

Col

Col,

I've often seen in hardware shops the tool I think you mean. It's blue and has two blades......Thought it was a Vitrex brand but unable to find it. I do recall it was about £24 odd. There's another, less sophistocated one I've seen at
http://www.wolfcraft.de/en/produkte/pro ... rimmer.htm
Or go into www.wolfcraft.com , go English and search for trimmer. Part no 4300000

Rgds

Noel

Thanks Noel

I managed to find what I was looking for eventually. It's actually by a company called Virutex and they do the magic gun to actually apply the tape but it's a bit steep at £350!! Me thinks an iron from Argos for a tenner is probably the route to go.

Col

Col,

Virutex, that's the name I was trying to remember (hence me thinking of Vitrex). Thought you were only looking for the handheld trimmer as opposed to a full banding machine. As you say an old electric iron does the job just as well. Tidy up with a kife and file.

Rgds

Noel

Virutex is distributed by Ney Ltd in Coventry and they do sell a two blade trimmer. The alternative is to invest in a laminate trimmer (i.e. a small router designed for the task) - but they are also expensive if you buy one that is going to last (e.g Festool nee Holz-Her). I agree with you about the cost of the Virutex hand-held band applicator (especially as the hand held units don't trim the band), but they do produce a more consistent joint and are much quicker to use than an iron - it all depends on how much you are doing, I suppose.

Scrit

Back