Board Cutting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
What would be the best tool for cutting thick boards (such as 3½" ash) without mains electricity? A handsaw or a battery powered circular saw? If the latter, which model would be best?

Gill

Hi Gill,

Depends really. Rip, cross-cut, or both? Lots of boards to do, or just one or two? Time of the essence, or can you do it at your leisure? D'you enjoy exercise or not? :lol:

If you will have only the occasional board to cut, I would suggest the handsaw route. Pick up a couple of decent old saws, one crosscut and one rip, at auction, sharpen or get them sharpened, and away you go for just a few quid.

Alternatively, battery powered cicular saw, especially if you are looking for a large one with a 3 and 1/2 inch cut (are they available?) would cost you hundreds, and take a fair bit of handling, too.

Just my thoughts for starters. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Hi Trev

Definitely cross cutting - and who said I was the one who was going to be doing the sawing :lol: ?! I need to persuade His Lordship that cutting long boards to fit in our car really won't be too much like hard work.

;)

Gill

I'd use a hardpoint. The circumstances where you might wish to do the cutting (in a timber yard without proper sawhorses available etc.) could easily result in a nice Ryoba becoming buckled and spoilt, if the timber moves whilst trying to cut it balanced in the car or on a knee etc.

paisawood":2lxeu9kb said:
How about a chainsaw? Argos have one for £69 at the moment. Has to be the quickest way of cutting.

but then you'd need a new chain because the one supplied will be made of cheese. Then there's chain oil ..... and engine oil ...... and petrol .... and safety gear and......I think I'd go for the hardpoint option :wink:

cheers

Latest posts

Back