Blum runners on solid wood carcass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDRiley

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I’m making a couple of drawer units (ie small chest of drawers) for a home office. Spec calls for solid wood carcasses but with Blum movento runners.

Any idea how to allow for movement in the carcasse when attaching the runners (grain on the carcasse is running top to bottom ie perpendicular to the runner).

Many thanks

Could you fix at the front with a circular hole in the runner and a horizontal slot further back into the drawers?

is it a solid slab of wood or panelled? a solid slab over say 400 is not good for a lot of things in central heating. I would use wood screws where the head fits the countersink and there is some slack around the shank. I doubt it would take 40kg though!

There are a lot of fixing holes in the runners, could you cut out some of the metal between the holes towards the back to create a slot which would allow for movement? As said fix the front through a regular hole.

There are a lot of fixing holes in the runners, could you cut out some of the metal between the holes towards the back to create a slot which would allow for movement? As said fix the front through a regular hole.
Thanks Doug. This is the option I’m going to try.

Thanks all for your really helpful suggestions. The moral here is don’t get talked into doing something before you’ve thought it through!

mount the runner on a bit of timber 20mm with grain running with runner. then screw that to the side with slotted holes.

Back